1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas Spill

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rfloyd7522, May 13, 2007.

1. rfloyd7522

rfloyd7522 Junior Member

Bad experience today when filling up, no problems with filling until the nozzle clicked off and I pulled it slightly out of the tank and continued to fill, it spewed out gas onto me and the ground, what is the practice for filling? In my other cars this is no problem.

2. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    not a good idea to top off after the pump clicks off. This is not uncommon.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, you might want to search on "burp" or "overfill." I'm not saying that you intentionally overfilled, but some people have reported that the "burping" occurs under one of two situations:
    1. They are attempting to intentionally overfill the bladder.
    2. It turns out that the gas pump auto-shut off is not sensitive enough and it overfills the bladder.

4. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If I'm reading your post correctly, you forced in more gas that the tank could hold, and it burped it back out at you.

If you pull the nozzle out just the right amount, you can disable the automatic shutoff on the pump completely and create a nice pressure seal. If you do it just right, you can then pump gas beyond the capacity of the bladder, essentially blowing it up (just a little) like a balloon. Then when you remove the nozzle (like removing your lips away from a balloon you just blew up), the excess you put in, comes squirting back out.

If the gas squirts just the wrong way, it can end up some places where it's not supposed to, which is *really* bad for the car.

So, in summary - Don't do that. :)

-Ken

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What type of car are you driving? Your profile says it's an "other non-hybrid". If it is a Prius, and you just haven't updated your profile, the answer is just as the other posters have stated: don't top off. The Prius fuel tank bladder is likely to cause problems when you do that, some of which can be quite expensive.

Tom