1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas stations go for quick-change electronic signs

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hb06, Jun 4, 2007.

1. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "Prices that start with $2 aren't the only things disappearing from the nation's gas stations. Plastic signs displaying those prices that have to be changed manually are on the way out, too."

"As the national average for one gallon of unleaded tops $3.19, according to AAA, gas stations nationwide are embracing electronic signs to respond instantly to rapid price fluctuations."

"The signs, with internal scrolling numbers or high-intensity colored digits, transform what can be a 30-minute job into one that takes a minute or so."

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/e...gas-signs_N.htm

2. jbullard

jbullard New Member

That cool. I hope they make the LEDs large enough to display double digits on the left side of the decimal, b/c that's probably not too far off either!

3. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Oh that's terrific. The next logical step would apply the same technology to the pump register, so as the price changes halfway through filling up, the last gallons pumped in will cost more (or less) than the first gallons! :p

4. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Jun 4 2007, 02:14 PM) [snapback]455135[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: it will probably happen

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Some of the stations around here have the electronic digital signage. Others have the old tall signs but instead of manually sliding in/out the numbers, they're operated electronically (sorta like an old fashion odometer).

6. ozyran

ozyran New Member

I guess the Sub Base here in Groton has already prepared for the future...they've installed an LED gas sign on base. Thinking about it, though, I'm surprised they didn't leave two digits to the left of the decimal point.

Give it 20 years, and we'll need 3! I wish I could say I'm being cynical, but I really do believe that the price could go up that high in the next 20 years.

7. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There is a big one like that at a truck stop on I-71. I have actually seen it change while I was driving. Funny thing, it goes down $0.02 and then back up $0.02 every couple of minutes. At first, I thought it was a glitch, but it has been going on for months now.

8. ozyran

ozyran New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Jun 4 2007, 11:57 PM) [snapback]455464[/snapback]</div>
    Imagine if it only kept going up $.02! :blink:

9. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I am stunned, stunned I tell you... That it took this long...

Considering the pain in the read it must be to change those signs daily, I expected them to go all digital years ago. Only one station around here has electronic signs, even the brand new stations built in the past 6 months have the old fashioned manual style.

I suppose it's just cheaper to pay some guy minimum wage 30 minutes every day, than it is to replace the thing with an electronic one...

-Ken

10. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Jun 4 2007, 04:14 PM) [snapback]455135[/snapback]</div>
    It will happen, if it hasn't already. We have those signs around here.

11. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ozyran @ Jun 4 2007, 08:53 PM) [snapback]455460[/snapback]</div>
    The push for hybrid, electric, and alternative fuel vehicles will help lower the demand for gas for transportation before that happens we hope. At any rate, it is hard to believe that it has taken this long to switch from manual to electronic gas signs.