1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas Tank Bladder issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jk823, Feb 10, 2013.

1. jk823

jk823 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm having an issue with my 2009 Prius when I fill up at the pump. I've read about some of the bladder issues reported in the forums (not beingg able to fill the tank to the full 11.9 gallon capacity), but my issue seems different.

Today I went to the pump with 2 "bars" left on the gauge. I started filling up and it cut off after only 2 gallons! I tried to add more to no avail. I got in the car and drove away -- the gauge never even changed, still two bars. This happened once before a few months back and it'll probably be fine at my next fill-up, but has anyone else heard of this? What can I do to prevent it?

Thanks!

John

2. pjc

pjc Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I get this a lot. It drives me nuts. I find that certain pumps work much better than others for my car. I always fill up at the slowest speed and hold the pump so that it is not all the way in and with the handle slightly up (so the little hole on the end of the pump tip is not pressing against the fill tube of the car. That seems to help but I still have lots of problems. If anyone has any suggestions, it would be great. My car has been this way since I got it a year ago (used). It is so persistent that I always try to fill up at Costco, where I know the pump works with my car. If I don't, I almost invariably end up with a partial fill-up.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Open the gas tank first, before paying. The more time for air pressure to equalize, the less finicky the gen 2 is.
    Get gas in the afternoon, not morning, the warmer it is, the less hassle the bladder is.
    Use the slowest setting to fill the tank.

If you put less than 3 gallons in it, it may not realize it needs to recalculate the number of Pips.
    If you find a pump that never gives you hassles, try to always use that pump. (and vice versa)

4. jk823

jk823 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks everyone!

5. turnbowm

turnbowm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    When low-vapor nozzles were implemented in California several years ago, I was unable to get a complete fill even in warm weather. After researching (and experimenting), I concluded that the station pump nozzle was shutting off early due to pressure buildup in the tank. The solution for me was to put the pump nozzle on slow fill (first click) and to pull the pump nozzle seal (rubber) away from the Prius tank opening during the filling process. Using this method, I have filled up numerous times since without premature pump shut-off!

As already stated, fills of less than 3 gallons may not register.