1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

gas tank

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mlaponte, Nov 19, 2005.

1. mlaponte

mlaponte New Member

My check engine light came on the other day. I took it to the dealer. They told me tat the engine was fine but the gas tank and cylinder needed to be replaced. Approximately $330 parts and $400 labor. Of course, they can't give any details of what caused the problem or the results of the problem. My 2002 Prius has 90k miles. Has anybody else had a problem like this? The gas tank should last the life of the car. Now the dealership says that they can't find the contract that shows the extended warrenty

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

there have been reports of the tank failing. What has failed is the bladder inside the metal gas tank, there are pressure sensors between the metal tank and the bladder that report to the computer that there is a pressure difference between the two and it has triggered the MIL. $330 for the tank seems about right but $400 labour! FO'nD, two metal straps to unbolt and some hoses and a couple of wires to unplug reconnect to the new tank and bolt up in place more like an hour and a half worth of work. As for your extended warranty I thought that was thru Toyota and they should have a record of it. If it was some second level warranty company well you might just be on the hook.

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Are you saying that you bought an extended warranty and the dealer won't honor it because they lost their copy? Do you have your copy?