1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas under $2

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by MNPrius, Nov 18, 2005.

1. MNPrius

MNPrius New Member

I was a bit surprised to see $1.99 here in MN. Wonder how long that will last.

2. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

One thing about the Prius is you can wait for the good deals to top off the tank! :lol:

3. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    We in the Gas Price Penalty State just went under $2.40. What the hell---what's
    a $.50 premium among friends?

Oh, I forgot, one of our refineries (we refine enough here to meet the state's needs) blew its nose...then there's the winter formula, is it time for that? (do we really have winter, anyway? like Colorado? no? different formula?)...no, no, it's the Migratory Whale Formula...oh, that's not until February?...

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    we just hit 2.35... maybe we'll hit $2 just in time for some other reason for prices to jump back up.

you know that migratory whale formula is great for long trips...

5. dogtrainer

dogtrainer New Member

I paid a $1.94 last week in Pearisburg VA. today it is $1.89 but its always cheaper there, even cheaper than in Wytheville VA. Roanoke is around $194 mark now as well ..STILL DOESN'T MEAN I WANT TO STOP DRIVING THE PRIUS, STILL SAVING MONEY AT ANY PRICE CONSIDERING MY NEW EXPEDITION AVERAGES 13 MPG MIXED DRIVING , IT HAS NOT BEEN DRIVEN 100 MILES IN THE PAST 3 MONTHS SINCE WE BOUGHT THE PRIUS

6. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    We're around $2.20 for the cheapo stuff here in CO last time I checked. Last weekend I paid $2.35 for the midgrade. During the winter we use a W10 blend. That's 10% whale oil and 90% gasoline. Sorry Jack, couldn't resist. :lol:

7. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I filled up this week in San Diego and it was $2.49. The station I got it at never hit $3.00 (yet, at any rate), but it was close.

8. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    dogtrainer,

You're not alone on this site. There are quite a few elephants here. Not as many as the donkeys, but a reasonable number it seems. In a perfect world there would be an even mix since things like energy security, enviromental stewardship, etc should be corner stones of any political party. Crap, I'm NOT hijacking this thread. Now, back to gasoline prices...

9. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

You're right, tripp, and environmental stewardship is something I have in common with more "moderate" Republicans (as well as privacy rights in common with some "libertarian" flavor Rs, such as the recently-retired columnist Bill Safire was).

Oops.

When I kill a whale (I join the Makah tribe in Neah Bay, WA, who have a special permit), I use the refined oil for lamps and give the blubber (cool word) to the Indians. They use it to taunt other tribes who can't get permits, and have to settle for poaching salmon, which are easier to hide from Fish & Game than whales.

Fishing Wars. Life on the Strait of Juan de Fuca when I lived in WA.

B)

tripp, are you a Brit?

10. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No, sadly I'm not. I am a native of the only colony named for a British monarch. Does that count? :D

So was it my signature that gave you the idea?

I am, however, a big fan of British culture and history. I'm also fascinated by New Zealand (who isn't) and have tried for a couple of years to convince my wife that we should move there. It's not the easiest place to emigrate to, however. That's probably a good thing.

BTW, what kind of whales?

11. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

I thought you spelled "tires" as "tyres" once---maybe not.

I was half-kidding about the whales, of course. I did go to Neah Bay to see the Makahs once. Depressing. Same old same old. I don't know if their tradition restricts them to killing only a certain species, or if they harpoon anything bigger than a small catamaran. A handful of diehards, of course, but it's hard to argue. I think they're allowed one per year.

*racking my brain...taught history...hah!...George?...Edward?...Charles?...Arthur?..
    Harald?...Kong?...no, not a King...*

12. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    "The Queen's English was good enough for Jesus Christ and it's good enough for me." -- Mutton Birds, NZ indy rock band.

Actually, there are quite a few folks who spell it that way.

I should have been more specific, American colony. Your first guess was correct, though now that I think about it the last was far superior. Of course, they'd have had to put the word "new" infront but New Kong would be pretty cool. Good flag potential. I grew up in Savannah. Oops, got a hockey game. Gotta run.

13. MNPrius

MNPrius New Member

Looks like Minnesota is the bargain state right now. And as I said, I'm happy I it's time to fill the little Prius :D It'll help the total cost column on my tracking spreadsheet

14. IndyDoug

IndyDoug New Member

Venezuela prez Hugo Chavez is now advocating OPEC production cuts if prices fall much further, which just might have something to do with firming crude prices currently.

15. VaPrius

VaPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I bought gas at $1.99 the other day at a warehouse club here in Virginia. Some one at work said a station on their way home had it for $1.89 a few days ago.

16. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Chavez will quickly become the leading America-basher in the world. And he'll try to throw his weight around within OPEC. But I'd like to know what his Arab brethern say to each other about him behind his back. He's a bit unpredictable, and may alienate some other anti-Americans with his shenanigans.

17. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Venezuela has been very cavalier with their oil resources in my opinion. Currently, gasoline sells for something like $0.15/gal. Everyone who can afford a car drives a massive SUV. Traffic is a huge problem there. Pretty much everything in the country is powered by gasoline because it's so cheap. As I recall it's heavily subsidized and has inflated the cost of many other goods. From what little I've read about it, it sounds like it has had a pretty negative impact on the economy there but Venuzuelans appearntly consider extremely cheap oil a birth right and politicians who try to change that don't stick around very long.

I hope they slash production. The sooner and more often they do that the sooner viable alternatives will make oil irrelevant.

18. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

No, the longer the oil will last, generating misleading projections. We've already proven (at least car drivers have) that we'll absorb a price spike and pretty much keep on drivin'. But it WILL buy us that much more time.

19. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Oh sure. We'll keep driving, no doubt. But... You won't see many Avalanches and Escalades as "commuter cars". It sounds like several folks who post here regualarly ditched guzzlers for more efficient rides. Increasing the fuel efficiency of the American "fleet" is the simplest and most effective way of improving the atmosphere and enhancing our energy security. The sad part is that it won't happen unless gas gets expensive.

20. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    my dad is in Mission, TX and it was at 1.89 two weeks ago.

unfortunately, we might hit 2.35 soon. its a shame. the government should have kept the gas prices high and used the extra money to pay for much needed research and subsidies for alternative fuel...