1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas usage overnight with A/C on?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Bbaks, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Bbaks

Bbaks New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Hello

I am thinking of taking my 07 Prius for a road trip this summer and spending the nights in the car with the A/C on.
    The problem I have is my gas gauge reads empty after about 150ish miles. So I can't rely on the gauge for how much gas is left in the car.
    If I were to use the A/C overnight with an outside temperature of around 90F and set my A/C to 75ish how many gallons of gas will it take? (Assuming all the lights are off)

Thank you

kenoarto likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    figure a gallon to be safe. have you thought about having a safety can on hand?

Bbaks and kenoarto like this.
  3. JerryScript

JerryScript Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'm wondering the same? I just bought a 2007, and plan on camping and taking advantage of the AC when necessary.

I've seen YouTube videos, and read blogs, and searched these boards (perhaps not well enough), all make vague statements about gas usage not being an issue, but no hard data about just how much gas you need to budget for those hot nights.

I've read 1/2 gallon, and I like bisco's caution to budget a full gallon, sure would like some peace of mind, but adventures are just that!

Bbaks likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hard data is difficult, because there are so many variables. no one here gets paid to do testing. :p you can hook up a scan gauge to get true fuel usage iirc.

5. Bbaks

Bbaks New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Do you mean carrying a jerry can? That would be a good idea. Where would one put one? Any suggestion for an adaptor/ holder?

bisco likes this.
  6. JerryScript

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'm kinda surprised, just because there is sooooo much data available on many other aspects, especially fuel mileage. That lack of hard data means I'll definitely be carrying a 3 gallon safety can, iirc it takes 3 gallons to reset the fuel tank sensors.

I wonder if anyone has ever posed the question to any Toyota engineers? Hmmm...OK Google....(tbc)

bisco likes this.
  7. JerryScript

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Rotopax makes some very good ones that can be mounted lots of places, and seal well enough to be stored in the trunk, but they are expensive. 3 gallon models sell around $150. There are Chinese knockoffs for less, but I wouldn't trust them inside without testing!

bisco and Bbaks like this.