1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gas vehicle vs. electric vehicle: Vancouver to Calgary road trip

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

austingreen and bwilson4web like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have to take issue with gates. the internal combustion engine is an elegantly simple design, and probably the most reliable part of any new vehicle. his habit of buying junkers may explain his perspective. but yes, they do burn gas. then he goes out and drops 90 g's on an ev. stops five long times instead of one or two quick stops. but he's happy because they are giving away electrons. go figure.(n)

#2 bisco, Nov 11, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  3. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Wow, he saved $100 in gas costs.

And the car cost what and depreciated over how many miles it comes out to what per mile driven?

(Use 200k miles and 90k cost and the depreciation runs 45 cents a mile not taking into account the cost of money over a long period. So maybe the residual value after 200k miles washes the cost of money. Still ~3x more than the depreciation on a Hybrid or even an economical gas/ICE car.)

The emotions are real, the numbers cited not so.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i like the tesla and ev's almost as much as anyone. but that article makes them sound bad, or at least, what they really are at the present time, short on range, long on money and slow to refill. i still want one though.:)

5. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    I thought the article made EVs sound fun. Today, on his route in Canada, it caused him and his family to explore places they would normally drive past. Next year he would only have to stop for 30 minutes at a time. I'm guessing some of his stops this year only resulted in partial charges so using SuperChargers may require fewer than 5 stops.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my tesla taught me to stop and smell the roses.:p

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I didn't understand the part where he would buy cheap used cars because an ICE is complex but drops 90k on an electric car. I guess he did save money buying used cars all this time but still defeats the purpose.

However, the part about exploring places is definitely a plus with an EV. With an ICE, it's easy to bypass small towns or interesting places to stop in the interest of time or because you're not required to stop. With an EV, it requires planning and that allows you the time to find new routes and see new places that you may not take with an ICE.

Tesla says there will be a supercharger network from Vancouver to Edmonton (via Calgary) by the end of this year (not sure how they're gonna add that many stations in so little time.) The first one is Hope, B.C. ("Coming Soon"), east of Vancouver, just before you do the climb up the Coast Mountains. Then the rest are supposedly all by 2014 (Kamloops, Sicamous, Revelstoke, Golden, Banff, AB [west of Calgary] and Red Deer, AB [~1/2 way between Calgary and Edmonton). Hope-Kamloops could possibly be the most challenging route so it may require a longer stop at Hope or Kamloops depending on which direction you're going. It also depends on how much you can regenerate on the long downhills (either side of the Coquihalla Summit. The west side is essentially straight up/down with only one flat bit near Othello).

It also means if you want to explore the Okanagan wine country, you're "stuck" with Level 2 chargers. It shouldn't be a problem if you stay overnight and charge up at the hotel.

F8L and bwilson4web like this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    or just drink wine until your battery is full.:love:

F8L likes this.
  9. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So you're saying the best way for a small town/city to get people who are willing to drop $40 to $100k on an EV to stop and explore, and maybe buy something, is to put in at least an L2 Station? Sounds like what all restaurants and motels should investigate as well as town/city counsels who are willing to drop $100K + on promotion to encourage tourism.

bisco likes this.