1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gasket sealer

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Nortonbrian, May 5, 2024.

1. Nortonbrian

Nortonbrian Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This may be of interest, 2014 , 170,000 miles. Started to get the dreaded knocking and shakes on cold start. A motor transplant was on the calender but family obligations got in the way. A friend told me about a combustion gasket sealer made in the UK that had a money back garuntee.Researched it, watched a You Tube demo. Usual price for gasket sealers is in the 20-25 dollar range, this Steel Sealer was 100 bucks for a small bottle!
    I am not an advocate on using a band aid where surgery is required but with nothing to lose i gave it a try.
    Now after 5,000 miles with smooth cold starts or coolant loss, temperatures from a low of 23 degrees in N.C. to 98 in Florida, its working. How long will it last, I have no idea, I will post the results.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes a few people have done this there are some sealers out there some are even two part mixes and they go around 70 to $130 Can they work sure they can how long who knows so there's always that I'm in Central North Carolina in the heat too sealers generally don't work very well but if you're leak was teeniny to begin with. Then there's a good possibility you might catch it

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The $20 sealers sometimes work for several months but many end up with no option other than engine replacement. It is actually a rather definitive head gasket diagnostic when coolant loss is not obvious and blocking the possibly sticking egr does not work.

Flippers frequently scam buyers with this technique. Which makes buying a high mile used gen3 very questionable.

However some end up worse than an engine with a blocked heater core and a partially blocked radiator. To that end, it is better to flush the sealer out as soon as it has proved hg or not.

Overall a quality borescope inspection followed by a gasket and head rebuild is the lowest cost repair when executed early. Still not as good as a rebuilt engine with the revised pistons and rings, newer egr valve and updated ecu software. Being proactive can also save a catalytic converter.

#3 rjparker, May 6, 2024
    Last edited: May 6, 2024
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water may flush it.