1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gasoline brands

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Twiddles, Nov 29, 2005.

?
  1. Citgo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. BP Amoco

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Chevron/Texaco

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Shell

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Sunoco

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Getty

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Hess

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Exxon/Mobil

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Unbranded

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Whatever is cheapest- it's all the same

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Twiddles

Twiddles New Member

I'm a fairly new Prius owner and appreciate all the good info I've gotten here. Just wondering if there is a preference in gasoline brands (I don't want to put crap in the tank). This is a list of the brands available where I am located in NY.

2. Schmika

Schmika New Member

I voted Shell because it is the closest station. I noticed a mpg "hit" when I filled up with a no-name brand once. I will only put in Marathon, Shell, or Sunoco (BP if there are NONE of those around) Just my little preference.

3. roach52osu

roach52osu New Member

I have similar preferences as Schmika although Shell lost much of my business when they ran out of gas around here for a few weeks about 10 months ago. I remember being shown the gas in a clear container by the operator of a citgo in my area it looked like milk due to all the sediment in their tanks, she warned me never to fill my car up at their station... Perhaps not all are like that but I dont think I have ever gone to one since and my brother who did has ended up with water in his gas after going there.

4. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Here is a thread that was on the Quality Differences, if any, of the various brands of gas.
    Hope it is of some help.

Some think they get better mileage with "Tier One" gas such as Shell or Chevron. Tier one probably runs cleaner too, at least that is what the Tier One companies claim.

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=4490&hl=tier+one

5. Twiddles

Twiddles New Member

Thanks for the link to that thread. The only brands available in my area that are on the Tier One list are Texaco and Shell so I guess my choice at fillup time will be whichever happens to be cheaper that day.

6. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Good gas makes all stations the same. Bad gas even once bumps that one off my radar.

I've been using gas from an IGA supermarket for a while, and I get the same MPGs I've gotten in the past from my favorite brand, Citgo. I'd prefer Texaco with Techron for long-term maintenance, but only until I see what it does in my car. Lower MPGs means infrequent use.

A Texaco that folded weeks after it opened a few years back had the pumps being worked-over at lunchtime. That was just when Shell was taking them over around here, and Shells abound in that area. Not sure what's up, but I'll be monitoring it since next May or so Texaco will really be Texaco again instead of a front for Shell...

7. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :mellow: INTERESTING....

I had noted on this Forum several months back that a Forum Member had reported better mileage using Shell gasolene - although with all the variables from day-to-day and tank-to-tank and weather conditions, etc. it is virtually impossible to accurately compare mileage.

In Dallas TX, we have Exxon/Mobil, Shell, Chevron, BP and a collection of "Independents." Mostly, I try to use Shell - coincidentally, Shell is usually a few cents lower than the other majors and frequently competitive with the independents.

8. Schmika

Schmika New Member

I agree...even though I use Shell (again, because the station is VERY convenient to me) my brief experience could have been related to a myriad of other factors. This Prius is so daggone sensitive to mpg factors, I'll put any old junk in my other 2 cars.

9. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I was told that most low and mid-grade gas are all the same it is just the premium that is different. Is that true? I don't know squat about gas so that is why I'm asking.
    Maybe Jayman has some gasoline knowledge with all his oil knowledge.

10. davedog

davedog Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  11. c4

c4 Active Member

Actually, way back in my youth, my father owned a Petro-Can service station and I worked there pumping gas and doing minor repairs on weekends and over the summer, and I distinctly remember watching the tanks being filled one day and that it was the mid-grade and premium ("Super unleaded") that were the same, except that the premium got an extra bottle of additive added into the tank afterwards..

12. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    #1 Shell
    #2 Chevron
    #3 76
    (California)

NEVER buy non-branded or "generic" gasoline because they contain the MINIMUM amount of cleaning detergents demanded by the gov't. This is JUNK fuel for your car. Trust me... just stick to one of the three above.

And as far as octane, put 87 UNLESS your car begins "knocking or pinging" then you try 89. If you still get the knocking or pinging, it's time that you choosing another brand. It wouldn't hurt either to pour of bottle of Techron ($4-6) every 10,000 miles; you can find it at any automotive shop.

13. Traanya Drinker

Traanya Drinker New Member

ANYTHING that doesn't have that frickin' alcohol crap added!

14. mjw

mjw New Member

The one tank of no-brand gas that I used got at least 5 mpg less than a typical tank (over comparable driving conditions). I'm back to Shell -- that's been the best so far. Chevron seems close, but still 1-2 mpg less than Shell.

mike

15. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I voted for whatever's cheapest. I usually go to Chevron, Arco, or Thrifty (owned by Arco). The Chevron on the corner 50' from my work is usually 1-4 cents more per gallon than the nearest Arco, but I get to use my debit card to pay and don't have to deal with the hassle of being charged an additional $.35 for using it at Arco/Thrifty or deal with using cash to avoid the surcharge and having to go inside and wait in line for my change. If I'm in an unfamiliar area and getting low on gas, I'll really stop in anywhere, whatever's closest...Shell, Texaco, Exxon, etc.

16. Potential Buyer

Potential Buyer New Member

Ethanol. Yes. Unfortunately, I haven't seen a gas station in San Diego that does not have 10% ethanol in the gas. Is this true throughout all of California? Or are there stations without it that I just haven't seen yet?

17. Rabid1

Rabid1 New Member

Gotta differ with you on this. There is no such thing in this country as "generic" gas. What the independent stations are getting is surplus "branded" gas. One day it might be Shell, the next, Chevron. They pay less per gallon because they aren't paying for the advertising etc. that the branded stations do.

As for quality, all modern gas has fuel additives. Different brands tout theirs over others, but in the long run, they all do pretty much the same thing.

In other words, regular gas of one brand will NOT get you significantly better mileage than that of another. Those of you that claim this are fooling yourselves.

18. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm afraid I must disagree.

There's been lots of discussion about this on here, and you can search here or research the "Top Tier" gasoline program.

The gasoline makers do NOT put the same detergents in their fuel, or put the same amounts in all grades of their fuel.

All gasoline does meet the 'federal minimum' for detergents, but modern engines require significantly more than the minimum to stay clean.

Because of this, the auto manufacturers (including Toyota, GM and BMW) created their own 'minimum standards' for detergents.

The "Top Tier" gasoline participants agree to meet this higher standard in all grades of their gasoline.

You can roll the dice with any fuel you want, but all fuels are not created equal, and if you want to be sure that you get a gasoline that meets Toyota's detergent standards, you need to be more selective.

19. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm no longer picky of where i go. Usually it's the closest station. unfortunetly i'm having a brain fart and can't remember the name of the company.. it's not listed though.. i think...

20. AuntBee

AuntBee New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've been buying gas at Kroger (grocery chain), and I don't really know what brand that is, but it seems to give good mileage. They discount it 10 cents per gallon for every 100 dollars in food purchased. It works out well since I only have to fill up twice a month and I can easily spend 200 a month on groceries, so I always get the discount gas price.