1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

gasoline could hit $3 per gallon this summer

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by JackDodge, Jan 24, 2006.

1. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    From the paper's paid section. The goofy typesetting errors are theirs, not mine. You can't pin this one on me! :lol:

Gas could hit $3 this summer
    Pump prices keep rising across Oakland
    By HANK SCHALLER Of The Oakland Press
    Press wire services contributed to this report.

Analysts say gasoline prices may eventually hit $3 a gallon this summer.
    Meanwhile, prices continued to creep up in Oakland County on Monday, rising by 2.8 cents a gallon over the past week. A AAA Michigan survey conducted Monday of 817 service stations in Oakland, Macomb and Wayne counties found the average price of self-serve regular unleaded gasoline was $2.33 a gallon, up from $2.302 a gallon a week ago, up 14 cents a gallon over the past month and up 48.9 cents a gallon from year-ago levels.
    Internet reports Monday indicated self-serve regular unleaded gasoline was selling for as low as $2.17 a gallon at the On The Go service station in Walled Lake and $2.19 a gallon at a Marathon service station in Wixom.
    Gasoline was selling for as high as $2.44 a gallon at a BP service station in Wixom and $2.39 a gallon at BP service stations in Clarkston, Birmingham and Bloomfi eld Hills; two Mobil stations in Bloomfield Hills and a Mobil station in Birmingham; a Shell station in Bloomfi eld Hills; and a Sunoco station in Bloomfi eld Hills.
    Among those expecting gas prices to continue to rise was Ford Motor Co. Chief Executive Officer Bill Ford.
    “I’m fully aware the old days are over,†Ford said during the North American International Auto Show at Cobo Center in Detroit. “One of the operating assumptions we have is oil is only going to get more dear, more expensive.â€
    The prediction of higher prices at the pump was shared by others.
    “People need that auto and won’t stop buying gasoline because of a price rise,†said Robert Ebel, chairman of the energy program at the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington. “We can look forward to another tight summer.â€
    The Bloomberg News Service reported that gasoline pump prices may return to $3 a gallon in the United States this summer as demand recovers and conservation efforts in the aftermath of hurricanes Katrina and Rita prove temporary.
    On Sunday, oil industry analyst Trilby Lundberg said nervousness among oil traders about headlines from three oil-producing countries — Iran, Nigeria and Venezuela — have increased upward pressures in the futures markets.
    Iran has resumed its pursuit of nuclear energy in a move that the United States and other Western nations have interpreted as an attempt to build a nuclear weapon; the security situation in Nigeria has deteriorated; and Venezuela has tightened conditions for oil companies to do business in the country.
    Prices have been further driven up by two recent government-mandated fuel reformulations and a requirement that corn-based ethanol be added to some gasoline, Lundberg said. Those steps make the process of refi ning gasoline more expensive, she said.

2. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    "Yawn" isn't quite my response. I like driving but my MPGs @$3 per gallon put even Charlotte at a $10 joyride. Not much joy there.

Anyway, it's nice to see hurricanes aren't required to invent ways to jack up gas prices. People with imagination still exist...

3. Spunky

Spunky New Member

Drivers in Hawaii are already paying ~$3.10/gallon.

4. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Well, the story is local in nature, not a national story. Here, we're paying around $2.27 per gallon. In a state where it sometimes appears as if most people drive full-sized pickups and large SUVs, that's pretty scary :)

5. Spunky

Spunky New Member

Is there a way to make it patriotic to drive a small or hybrid car and "un-American" to drive a gas-guzzler? Or do we have to wait for market prices, of gas in this case, to cure our polluting ways?

:(

6. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Seeing as we are a country of "I want it and therefore I will have it, without concerns for consequences" I seriously doubt that this view will change. Most people who spend money on behemoths like the Hummer, Nissan Armada and the new super sized Dodge double cab (to mention a few) can afford more && for gas. For those with leaner budgets there is over-extension because many good ole boys (and girls) are not going to give up that feeling of riding the big wheels.
    My company HAS to use large vans for transporting individuals with disabilities so increased gas prices are a serious issue for us.
    The idea of moving to another country where there is a higher level of social responsibility floats in my mind more and more these days. There's no snow in Vancouver, right?

7. OUscarb

OUscarb Member

They will get it to $3, no doubt, but if Hurricanes threaten,look for 3.50-4.50.

:mellow:

No matter what my MPG are, Rising Gas prices are still a big concern. :angry:

8. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think gas will reach $3/gallon well before summer gets here (well, in Orange County/Los Angeles areas at least). Price at the nearest station (Chevron) was $2.43 a couple hours ago. Up from $2.05 just 3 weeks ago on January 3. Not fun filling up whether you're a Prius driver or an SUV driver, but even more not fun if you're the SUV driver with the larger gas tank (and lower mpgs). :eek:

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Interesting but nothing new, right?

I sincerely hope this will mean the end of full size SUV and pickup truck production for Toyota. At least they have alternatives, like the Echo oops Yaris, Corolla, Prius, etc.

I wonder if the oil company executives will be called into another "special hearing" and the price per gallon will magically drop again?

10. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Their target is $5 a gallon. How long it takes them to get there is another matter.

11. andyman68

andyman68 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you could be right on $3 per gallon and maybe sooner than we think. I'm betting prices will be high for several years before they come down a little. The cure for high prices is high prices. As the price of gasoline and diesel increases, there will be more incentive for companies to build refineries, which will increase supply and lower prices.

Andy