1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gasoline Smell Fills Cabin on 2010 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Crannock, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Crannock

Crannock New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My fully loaded 2010 Prius has approximately 21K miles on it. On two occasions in the past six weeks the cabin has unexpectedly filled with the smell of gasoline. I am not talking just a whiff of gasoline, but an all-out, in-your-face, even-an-idiot-couldn't-miss-it odor. Here is what was happening on each occurrence:

I was traveling on a Dallas freeway at probably 65 to 70 mph talking to a guest in the car (first mistake…I admit it) when I suddenly realized my exit was rapidly approaching and was blocked by traffic in the right hand lane. I quickly accelerated to 80 mph to pass that traffic to gain access to the right hand lane and my exit. Once I had slowed down to regular speed, the gasoline smell was there. Both occasions were the same way...me having to suddenly accelerate in order to not miss an exit.

Also, my usual 46 to 47 mpg per tank has dropped to 39 or 40. To make 41 mpg I really have to work at it.

I am not a car-buff. I simply love my Prius and suspect something is seriously wrong. Can anyone offer any suggestions before I take it to the dealer?

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    :welcome: welcome to PriusChat.

As far as I can remember you are the first member to post with that problem. My only suggestion would be to take it in, could be a safety issue.

Be sure to let us know what they find.

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome aboard!

Never heard of the issue either. How full was your tank? Could be a leaky gas line. In any case, I am sure the dealer will look it over carefully.

4. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Shouldn't happen. You sure you fitted the fuel cap back correctly? Do you fill the car up to first click on the pump or do you brim it? Even so, it shouldn't smell so get it checked.

5. fulltank

fulltank New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey, are you driving w my wife? She is the only member of our family that smells weird odors when nobody else does... :D

6. Prius 06

Prius 06 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Hello, and welcome!
    This is NOT normal, as mentioned and I would take the car to a dealer and have it checked out.

As for your mpg, I don't know what the temps are like there, but has it dropped down at all?
    The colder temps play a factor on your mpg's.

Let us know the outcome!

7. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Quote:

"I quickly accelerated to 80 mph to pass that traffic to gain access to the right hand lane and my exit. Once I had slowed down to regular speed, the gasoline smell was there. Both occasions were the same way...me having to suddenly accelerate in order to not miss an exit."

Check for the obvious first, then try to duplicate on demand before going to the dealer.

8. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    lol I don't fancy sitting next to him as he tanks it at 80 mph before cutting across the traffic to take the exit! :eek: (I'd take his word on it)

9. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That was not meant literal, thank you.

10. priusrick

priusrick Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    hersh I think I've experienced that as well on the highway in dallas

VM670 ?

11. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My first thought is that the smell has come in from another vehicle. I have experienced this numerous times, especially in congested traffic. It is confusing because the smell is so strong.

However your rise in consumption is suspicious and you should definitely consult the dealer. On the whole the prius fuel system is very well sealed.

12. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Admitting your mistake does not absolve you of cutting in front of me or anyone else when we're patiently exiting the highway. Since you did it twice, it must be a habit. As for the gas smell, beats me - but if it only smells while performing your "maneuver", that should be a clue to stop doing it.

13. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    GET IT CHECKED!

If the gas smell is strong, you could have a fuel leak in the engine compartment. It does not take much (like, a few drops) for the smell in the people tank to become very strong. However (comma!) it does not take much (like, a few drops) to start a fire in the same place!
    Hopefully, your MPG drop is more temperature and right foot related than from spewing gasoline into the environment, but you never know...
    G3 Priuses are not usually plagued by fuel leaks. If this is a one-owner vehicle that's never been wrecked, I would not expect you to have such a problem....but since you do, I would keep the giveacrap switch in the "DO" position until you find out what's going on.

GET IT CHECKED OUT aggressively until you find out what's happening, especially if you haul kids or other passengers around.

Good Luck!
    (you might need it)

1 person likes this.
  14. Crannock

Crannock New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thank you all for your warm welcome and jokes. They were much appreciated.

To answer a few of your quesions and to give you more information of the situation, I offer the following:

- Yes, each time I am sure the gas cap was on securely.
    - Each time I am certain the air system's setting was set for "recycle" because I
    changed it to vent attempting to clear the air in the cabin.
    - Until this week, temperatures have been relatively mild overall in Dallas (highs in
    the 50's and 60's or more).

I still do not understand why the gasoline smell filled the cabin twice, nor why my MPG has dropped by 8 MPG. While I know nothing about cars, could a ring failing in the injection system cause this? Or could there be something wrong with the engine compression? Could either of these cause the problem I am describing?

Please guys, wrack your brains and let me know what you think!

15. Crannock

Crannock New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

I am a very safe driver who is usually sitting in line with everyone else patiently waiting to exit the highway. This "maneuver" as you call it is not a habit. Both instances were far outside the realm of usual for me...I have nothing for which to be absolved.

However, your eagerness, even happiness, to criticize rather than offer help as asked does disappoint.

16. Teakwood

Teakwood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you are smelling gasoline in thee cab of the Prius, then I suggest you get to the nearest Toyota service dept ASAP - unless you like the idea of turning into a rolling Molatov cocktail.
    :target:

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    could be the hard accelleration is forcing gas out somewhere, but honestly, idon't think you should be waiting around for someone here to diagnose it. get it to a qualified mechanic asap, don't mess with your (and others) safety.

18. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Get it to a dealer ASAP.

Do you top-off the tank when filling it?

19. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you're days overdue for a trip to the nearest Toyota dealership!
    Maybe I didn't make my point well enough the other day.

G3's are fuel injected.
    This means that the little pipe (or tube) that runs to your motor has gasoline in it that's being pressurized by the fuel pump in the gas tank. Like about 2-3 times more than the water in your kitchen sink is being pressurized by your local water supply.
    With me?
    OK.
    So, you're yanking and banking around the freeway and for some reason there may be a leak in one of your fuel pipes, causing gas to escape from a fitting.
    Where are most of the fittings you ask?
    Right.
    In the engine compartment...

Probably not the best place to have a leak, especially if you're driving at freeway speeds.

Is this the problem?
    Maybe. Maybe not.
    Has your car ever been wrecked? Worked on other than routine maintenance? Are you the original owner?

It doesn't matter.
    Yesterday, I overfilled my G3. Like by about 2 cups worth of gas on the left rear quarter panel. No....I didn't have the nozzle locked, it just failed to stop before gas was pouring out of the filler neck.

When I drove away from the CHEVRON dealership, I didn't catch the least little whiff of gas in the people compartment. Believe it or not.....I actually thought about this posting when it happened.

The point is....you don't know where it's coming from. Neither do I.
    Maybe the problem will go away alllllllllll by itself and you won't be inconvenienced by trip(s) to the dealer.

On the other hand....maybe you'll make the six o'clock news!

Life is like that sometimes.

Your call.....

20. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I too am diagnosing fuel leak in engine compartment. Consider fire extinguisher (not sure I have one myself). Engine fuel lines needs to be checked. Check 12v battery re: MPG loss.