1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gasoline use up 2.8% since early time change

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by hb06, Apr 7, 2007.

1. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "WASHINGTON — In a bid to save energy, Congress moved up daylight-saving time by three weeks this year. But so far, the change appears to have backfired after Americans last month used record amounts of gasoline as they got out to enjoy the extra hour of sunshine."

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/e...ings-usat_N.htm

2. ari14850

ari14850 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HBO6 @ Apr 7 2007, 11:16 AM) [snapback]419376[/snapback]</div>
    Well then you'd have to ask the question, who lobbied for the change? According to:

http://lipsyard.blogspot.com/search/label/...0savings%20time

A brief quote:

Downing says that Daylight Savings pushes Americans out of the house at the end of the day. We go to the ballpark, or the mall, but we don’t walk there, we get in our cars and drive. The oil industry has known since 1930 that Daylight Savings increases gasoline consumption.

When Americans go out of the house they spend money. Daylight Savings may not be an effective energy policy, but it is a tremendously effective spending policy. The first and most persistent lobby for Daylight Savings is the chamber of commerce. In the 1986 Congressional hearings (which gave us an extra month back then,) the Golf industry reported that one additional month of Daylight Savings was worth $200 million in additional sales of equipment and greens fees. The BBQ industry earned $100 million in additional sales of grills and briquettes.

3. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ... which explains an AWFUL lot about the hidden agenda.
    _H*

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, I'm all for getting rid of it completely. Pick and time and stick with it.

Doesn't seem to be hurting Arizona any.

5. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Apr 7 2007, 02:42 PM) [snapback]419523[/snapback]</div>
    I'm with ya there Godiva, I am from the midwest originally and moved to Arizona for the last 15 years moved back to Missouri Cant stand to turn clocks back and forth, And there is no need for it like it was first used for to get out in the fields and start farming .

Always hated to change our watches when we would go to vegas.. :)

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't think farmers bother with the clock. If the sun comes up, they work until it's dark. And moving the clocks doesn't increase the amount of sunlight there is.

I think part of the problem is the increasingly advancing start of work and school. School and work didn't used to start at 7 am. That means getting up and walking or driving in the dark. I'm sure the original intention was to "beat the traffic". But now you'd do better to start at 9 am since all of the traffic seems to be between 6 am and 8 am.

7. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Makes perfect sense. I get up and go to work at 6AM whether it's dark or light. (Usually dark. :( ) Same doesn't apply to what happens after work.