1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gastro-Intestinal Help

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by heliotropehead, Jun 26, 2006.

1. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

I've been suffering with this for a while now, but it's getting worse recently. I've been online researching this, trying to figure out what may be the problem before I go out and spend tons of $ and have the docs tell me they too are clueless. I'm not sure if it's stress or what... but right now I'm scared to eat or drink anything!
    Here are my symptoms: Belching (a lot!!), heartburn, reflux at night, intense pressure in my chest after meals & anxiety because of this, indigestion and sometimes nausea. Lately the only thing that seems to relieve the pressure in my chest is carbonated drinks (IE Coke!)... it makes me burp and so I feel better. I've been reading about Heartburn, Indigestion, Acid Reflux, Gerd, Gastritis, etc. but nothing seems to explain the pressure I feel in my chest after I eat. I've slowed down eating, too... I chew for longer periods of time to decrease the amount of air I intake while eating... still, for some strange reason I have a lot of air in me. :( :unsure: I'm at wit's end so any thoughts, suggestions are much appreciated.

2. gschoen

gschoen Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm sure even the MDs here would agree with me on this point... if you have a some problem making you scared to eat or drink, you may have a serious issue and a PriusChat is NOT a good place for diagnosis! While some here might have ideas, without examining you and a more complete medical history, this is just internet diagnosis at best... if that worked, our country would have much lower health care spending.

Sometimes you just have to see the doc.

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've suffered digestion problems for most of my life. They were frequent enough that I seldom felt 100%, and sometimes severe enough to require a hospital stay. Umpteen medical tests ruled lots of things out, but didn't cure anything. I started lists of foods that bothered me all the time/sometimes/never. Then I heard of a diet called "Eat Right For Your Type", based on your blood type and chemistry, which contained lists of foods to avoid, foods that were beneficial, and foods that were ok. Everything on my lists were on the book's lists, so I adopted it completely and felt better immediately. Symptoms I'd had for 30 years were gone within a week. I have more energy, need less sleep, and spend far less time in the bathroom and the hospital. You may not agree with the science, but it works for me. I can't guarantee it will work for you, but it may be worth looking at.

4. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gschoen @ Jun 26 2006, 02:31 PM) [snapback]276947[/snapback]</div>

I'm looking to hear thoughts, shared experiences, suggestions, etc. I am in no way looking for a diagnosis on a car forum. Thanks for your reply. :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Jun 26 2006, 02:36 PM) [snapback]276948[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks! I'm googling "Eat Right For Your Type" now. :)

5. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(heliotropehead @ Jun 26 2006, 03:13 PM) [snapback]276940[/snapback]</div>
    As a Board Certified Gastroenterologist I strongly recommend you seek medical attention. Unless you have good medical malpractice insurance, you should not be practicing medicine on yourself. I would also agree that this is not the proper forum to discuss your medical issues.

Go see your Internest and take it from there.

David H. Berman, MD, FACP, FACG

6. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jun 26 2006, 03:50 PM) [snapback]276955[/snapback]</div>
    OK, David, I'm convinced- you're a real doctor! :)
    I'm going to have to agree with Dr. Berman here (has to happen once in awhile, right? :) ). I had similar symptoms to what you describe, and sometimes when I ate I would have uncontrollable spasms in my esophagus. I used to keep a big bottle of Rolaids on my desk, as I gulped them constantly. I went to a gastroenterologist and had an upper GI, as well as a colonoscopy (not because of the symptoms, but recommended due to my age and my father having colon cancer). I was apprehensive about the procedure, but it turned out to be a piece of cake. The doctor found that I had acid reflux and some erosion of the esophagus. I have been on Prevacid for a few years now- I'm generally skeptical about prescription drugs, especially those that advertise alot, but that made all the difference for me.
    Don't fool around- go see a doctor.

7. Mirza

Mirza New Member

It must have taken a LOOOONGGGGG time to get those degrees!!!!!! :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jun 26 2006, 03:50 PM) [snapback]276955[/snapback]</div>

8. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'm not a Board Certified Gastroenterologist, but I play one on PriusChat. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Years ago, my dad had the same symptoms. Doctors and over the counter medications did nothing for him (of course medical knowledge gets better every day). One day, a coworker suggested he try eating more spicy foods . . . rather than just that meat and potatoes stuff. Sounds antithetical to what everyone thinks about spicy foods, but gradually over a week or two his symptoms literally disappeared.

I'm in no way suggesting you try the spicy food route before the excellent suggestions by the real doctor and the “Eat Right†book. Many people suffer from food allergies or sensitivities and don't know it.

If none of the other suggestions help, give spicy food a try . . . it can't hurt . . . at least not for very long. :eek:

9. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Go to the doctor. If you need to make it through the night try some bitters and "beano"....

10. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tnthub @ Jun 26 2006, 06:16 PM) [snapback]277007[/snapback]</div>
    Boy, you sure do know how to suffer, don't you? I'd be in the emergency room if I had your symptoms. The acid reflux alone is going to cause you chronic problems down the road. If you're overweight, that could cause some of the problems but until you lose it, you won't know for sure. You don't only need a doctor, you need a nutritionist and a personal trainer too. You can decide whether you can afford that help now or afford the healthcare that you're going to need in the future to treat the chronic problems that you're sowing the seeds for today.

11. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    B/C I like to play "Guess the diagnosis" based upon minimal information--that is what ER docs do anyway, I want to add the possibility of Gall Bladder disease to your differential...gall stones are possible.

That said, you need a work up and anything short of that here is simply WAGs. Also, the possibility of something more serious such as Coronary artery disease (heart attack kinda thing) can't be completely ruled out as it can present as you describe in rare cases.

12. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(heliotropehead @ Jun 26 2006, 12:13 PM) [snapback]276940[/snapback]</div>
    As everyone else has said, go see a doctor. While I'm not a doctor, maybe I can scare you enough to go see one!

I had similar symptoms, along with what my wife thought was sleep apnea. Come to find out it was GERD, and I now take Prilosec OTC to control it. There is a long list of what it COULD be, though, and its a scary list. Just consider this: I heard a statistic once that the first time 50% of the men who die from heart attacks realize they have a heart problem is right before they die. "Death" isn't really the first symptom; they have just ignored all the other symptoms. "Oh! I guess it was serious!" PLONK. :(

I'm not sure the stat is correct, but all of your symptoms are found with heart trouble as well as a few other choice things. Think of it this way, the worst that could happen is the doctor could tell you its something serious that would have killed you if you had not come in. The absolute best thing that could happen is that he laughs, tells you its something simple, and you go on your merry way. Either way you win. If you delay, you could lose, big time!

And, even though Prilosec and diet change worked for some people, don't try to medicate yourself and "fix" it. That "eat right for your type" diet and the over the counter drugs could simply mask something more serious and delay treatment until it is "too late".

13. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i'll just chip in my 2 cents about drugs... particularly the OTC kind...

typically drugs treat symptoms and in most cases do not treat the underlying cause of such symptoms. (there are exceptions but mostly not over the counter type drugs) with getting rid of the symptoms only, all you're doing is getting rid of the body's way of telling you something is wrong, not fixing the problem.

to treat the cause, i'll go along with everyone else here and encourage you to see a doc asap. it sounds like you're really not feeling good :( i hope you get this figured out and are feeling better soon!

edit: one more thing. check your insurance benefits. we found out DH's policy covers all diagnostics 100%, no deductible- came in very handy recently.

14. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I agree with everyone above: See a doctor.

Make an appointment now. Then continue your research so you go to the appointment as educated as the information landfill we call the internet can make you. mayoclinic.com is a good source of information. Also, sometimes fasting can relieve stomach symptoms (though intense hunger can be a side-effect of fasting).

But pain can be a symptom of something serious, and most serious conditions yield to treatment better if caught earlier. If the doctors tell you they can do nothing for you, then come back here for all the quack remedies certain to be forthcoming in Fred's. But FIRST, and SOON, see a doctor. It might be something treatable with a drug. It's been known to happen.

15. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 26 2006, 06:40 PM) [snapback]277018[/snapback]</div>
    C'mon guys, don't scare the crap out of her. Just having a couple of medical people telling her to go to a doctor now should be enough warning don't you think?

16. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I would recommend you see a doctor and until you go in for your appointment that you knock off the carbonated drinks. They may seem to offer some temporary relief but may be aggravating something. I'd also cut down on salt too, just in case there is a blood pressure tie in.

If you are eating a lot of vegetables, try some Beano before you eat.

If you can knock off the coffee, tea, alcohol and anything else with caffeine until you get to see your doctor. Even if they have nothing to do with the immediate problem, they are good health habits and couldn't hurt until your doctor diagnoses your condition.

17. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    See a Dr. !

I had trouble a few years ago eating anything- if it is reflux or an ulcer that you have coke will only make it worse in the long run.....diet changes can help alot but you must see an expert and be honest......

18. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Jun 26 2006, 04:11 PM) [snapback]277038[/snapback]</div>
    Being scared is better than being dead.

19. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

a good punch to the stomach and all will be well!

j/k

yeah, see a doc and feel better soon!

Do what i do, find some Dr. of the opposite sex that's relatively hot (that's how i chose my dentist :lol: ), gives you more of an excuse to go, plus, you might end up hooking up with a really rich good looking Dr. and live happily ever after! :D

20. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jun 26 2006, 07:55 PM) [snapback]277150[/snapback]</div>

When going to see a Doc for this type of problem you can bet on one or more of the following:
    Barium swallow:drink this horrid crap and get on a table while you get xrayed
    Barium enema: other direction and you got to "hold it" while getting those pictures
    Endoscopy: Tube down the throat, good drugs for this one
    Sigmoidoscopy: Tube up the "other" end, no drugs......

Failure to take care of the problem...
    But I am also a procrastinator when it comes to going to a doctor so I understand. Best to get it over with before it becomes an emergency.