1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

gauge say 10 miles left with 2 gallons of gas left

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by lutece7, Sep 15, 2009.

1. lutece7

lutece7 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    my fuel gauge on my Gen 3 Prius will tell me I have only 10 miles to go before I need to refill, but when I do so, I can't even get 10 gallons of gas in there. Seems like I could have gone almost another 100 miles before a refill.

I have searched and read a couple of threads on this, and realize that it is because of the bladder.

However, I still think that the MFD's "miles to go before fill up" number should be more accurate that that. That is WAY off.

I realize what a bad idea it is to run out of gas. But the next time I see that I need to refill in 10 miles, I am going to add 50 miles to that number if I can't fill up then, OR, even if I don't like the price of the hearest gas station.

2. rwhoyle

rwhoyle Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Chris,

I believe Toyota did away with the fuel tank bladder in the Gen III Models. Don't be so concerned about getting the most mileage out of a dry tank. When is says time to fill up, just fill up. Enjoy the drive and 400+ miles between fill-ups.

3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah no bladder in the GIII. It is a consensus that there are 2 gallons left when your DTE is 0. Toyota seems to be playing it very conservatively. I don't see a need to get every single bit out of a tank just to try and prove a number to myself but it is good to know that if need be and there isn't a station for a few more miles you have plenty of gas left even once it does start flashing and it reads a zero.

4. lutece7

lutece7 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ok, so you basically have a 2 gallon reserve tank at all times whether you like it or not.

Isn't that 16 lbs of weight that you carry around never gets used? I could be averaging 56.6 instead of my current 56.5! DAMMIT!!! LOL

5. dmvp

dmvp Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    LOL

True! So maybe the best thing is to run it to ZERO...drive another 100 miles...run out of gas, and then just fill with ONE gallon, and start all over again. Then you might even get 70 mpg!! ;P

For anyone that can't detect sarcasm...my statement was LOADED with it. :rockon:

6. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Gasoline is 6.2 lbs per gl. Jet fuel is slightly heavier, You burning jet fuel?

7. lutece7

lutece7 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    6.2 lbs is for unleaded. I am burning LEADED! Imported from Mexico. that is 8lbs a gallon! LOL I can get 56mpg and drive it with my foot buried in the pedal ALL DAY LONG ;-)

8. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Maybe you should search the Gen3 threads where this topic has been beat to death. Hopefully no one here told you there is a bladder

9. lutece7

lutece7 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    wvgasguy, if you had read my initial post I said I searched this on the forums. It was in the results that I learned about the bladder. It is not always stated which generations that they are talking about. So please lighten up about my post. Evidently, it has NOT been "beaten to death" because of the contributions to this thread. Next time you see a thread that has been "beaten to death", perhaps you should just avoid it.

10. octavia

octavia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm so paranoid about running out of gas, I had to get gas when I got to the last pip. I couldn't even wait for it to blink at me. My "miles to go before fill up" read 50 something. It's comforting to hear that there is a cushion.... maybe next time I can let it go a little farther!

11. lutece7

lutece7 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Prius Girl, You make perfectly good sense. But I have this irrational desire to be able to go 600 miles between fill ups. I guess it comes from having to fill up ever 240 miles for so long in my Land Cruiser (even with its 22 gallon tank!!!!)

12. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V