1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gave up on installing those "@#*@#!" seatcovers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by harper42, Sep 15, 2006.

1. harper42

harper42 Member

Bought those "exact seat covers" on Ebay. Read all your posts with hints on installing

I worked aabout and hour and half, on one front seat, drivers side, and finally gave up and put them back in the box. Put on the top part fine. Put on bottom, attached the velcro, stuffed it through, fastened the buckled straps. Created a paperclip type end on a hanger. Finally got the velcro strap near the door poked through. But the one near the center.... stuffed and poked and shoved and never could get it through to where I could locate it from the bottom. I finally decided seat covers aren't worth that much effort!!! I wonder what my Prius dealer would charge me to put them on.

2. harper42

harper42 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dulcimer @ Sep 15 2006, 10:38 AM) [snapback]320161[/snapback]</div>
    Would anyone like a super deal on a pair of brand new seat covers, in original box, with instructions. Also included are instructions on how to install them in your Ford Truck. (Don't ask! That was part of the package!!"

3. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    alternatives - look for auto upholsterers, check out car customizing shops, and detailers.

I'm mecahnically a klutz, so I went through my Toyota dealer to get leather seats. They used a 3rd party place that's a car customizer.

I had my clear bra installed earlier this week at a detailing shop that mostly specializes in car alarms and stereos, but they also sold seat covers, so presumably they install them.

I didn't have any luck with auto upholsterers in my area - they wanted more for just the install than my Toyota dealer wanted for the whole thing.

Also, check the web for the seat cover manufacturer - they may list installers.

Good luck!

4. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dulcimer @ Sep 15 2006, 10:38 AM) [snapback]320161[/snapback]</div>
    Hope the seat covers don't block your side bolster airbag, if you have it.

5. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dulcimer @ Sep 15 2006, 01:38 PM) [snapback]320161[/snapback]</div>
    Let's see if I can help here as I try to remember exactly what I did to get them on.

I assume you're referring to the side of the seat next to the center console. It took a little figuring out, but I discovered that on my car there is a flap of OEM fabric that sort of hangs down lower than the seat frame. Behind that flap is an opening between the seat frame and the floor runner on which the seat slides. I found the opening by sticking my fingers down between the seat bottom and console and poking around with my fingertips, while kneeling outside the door and looking beneath the seat. After realizing that, I was able to grab the strap for the seat cover bottom between my fingers, feed it through the opening with my fingertips, and grab it with my other hand. I can't remember which end of that strap had the "loop" Velcro, but whichever it was tended to get caught on the OEMS fabric. I resolved that by folding the end back over on itself long enough to feed it through. It didn't stick to itself too well (it's not designed to, of course), but it was good enough to get the job done.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dulcimer @ Sep 15 2006, 01:38 PM) [snapback]320161[/snapback]</div>
    Not sure what you're describing here, unless it's a makeshift device to feed the straps through. Regardless, I didn't use any sort of tool besides my fingers to feed the straps. Maybe I should have; I scraped my knuckles a bit feeding them between the seat and the plastic on the side by the door.

Hope this helps.

Jim

6. mootsman

mootsman New Member

Come on folks...if you can spring for a Prius you can handle the price of Wet Okole covers. In this case you do get what you pay for. Being the outdoorsy type, I've tried a lot of covers on a lot of vehicles and I'm yet to see anything close to the Okoles -- they may be out there but I haven't encountered them.

7. harper42

harper42 Member

Not sure what you're describing here, unless it's a makeshift device to feed the straps through. Regardless, I didn't use any sort of tool besides my fingers to feed the straps. Maybe I should have; I scraped my knuckles a bit feeding them between the seat and the plastic on the side by the door.

That was exactly it... It worked on the door side, but I couldn't get anything to go all the way through near the console. That's when I totally gave up on the covers.]

8. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mootsman @ Sep 15 2006, 03:48 PM) [snapback]320214[/snapback]</div>
    Well, I got leather seats installed aftermarket, Katkin ones. I've never seen Wet Okole seat covers in person, and I know people here say they're great, but all I can think is that they'd make the back of my thighs sweat terribly in the summer.

The pictures I've seen of the Wet Okole seats are beautiful. But I understand that, like leather, they're expensive compared to stretchy seat covers. I've gone through periods of my life where I covered an old living room softa with stretchy covers from a mail-order catalog because re-upholstering was out of my price range, and a new sofa was even further out of my price range. I can understand that someone who has just bought a new car might be being cautious about what they spend for 'add ons'.

My most expensive 'add on' has been the leather seats, and that was pure indulgence on my part. The next most expensive was the clear bra, and I consider it almost a necessity on my white car. But, much as I've been tempted by other expensive add-ons like a NAV system or a better stereo, they're not on my list of priorities - my mortgage payment's more important <g>.

9. dancekat59

dancekat59 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had the understanding that ALL custom fiitted seat covers... yes, including Wet Okole and GT covers are a struggle to install because of the tight fit.

10. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dulcimer @ Sep 15 2006, 12:38 PM) [snapback]320161[/snapback]</div>
    If you are trying to put the strap through between the seat and the back of the seat then tilt the seat back right back. It will make the skirt at the back a bit more floppy and allow fingers to go further.
    To get a strap through between the center console and the seat run the seat back as far as it will go. Once again more room for fingers.