1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GE starting to scale wind...

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by burritos, Mar 15, 2006.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    http://www.renewableenergyaccess.com/rea/n...E8994B?id=44335

5 cents per KWH projected. The new turbines are calculated to have a 5-7MW capacity. GE is the big US wind player. With an estimate of 15% of all the world's energy at stake, GE is definitely going to make this work.

2. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    That's the kind of article that brings a smile to my face. Let's hope the whole thing comes to fruition.

3. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I was happy about it too, until I read the turbine bird killing thread.

4. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  5. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's largely one windfarm in California. They've learned now not to put them in key migratory paths. I can tell you at the windfarm where my folks live (Buffalo Ridge, on the MN/SD border) bird kill is not a problem.

I'd be more worried about the annual kill from people's housecats. Habitat loss from urban sprawl is another big factor. Or habitat loss from global warming, for that matter.

nerfer

6. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Isn't NREL the sector that Shrub pulled a bunch of budget away from
    right after the last state of the union address?
    What I can't understand about these projects is wy they're putting
    them offshore, and usually so far off. Why take the hit of the
    energy loss over all that transmission line? Wind turbines are
    beautiful things, they oughta be right ON shore [unless the wind
    is radically different] so people can admire them up close. Those
    NIMBYer idiots on the Cape really buggered everything up by starting
    the wrong trend.
    _H*

7. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's nonsence. House cats kill more birds annually that wind turbines. Ditto large office buildings.

It's indeed good news. The Germans just deployed their first offshore tubines. Unfortuneately they're just puny 2.5 MW turbines. They're primarily research platforms.

8. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    'obbit, the advantage of offshore farms is that they having a higher production factor (basically the amount of time that the turbines are running and what percentage of their rated power they are producing). Offshore turbines have a production factor of something like 40-50%. For land based turbines the production factor is usually in the range of 25-35%.

9. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, so the wind is better out there. I can accept that. Hopefully
    that makes up for a couple of extra miles of wire [and the fact that
    a good deal of the platform infrastructure has to be built
    underwater!]. I guess as more of these things start going in, the
    people who print nav charts will be very busy.
    _H*

10. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I love this thread... Here in Bowling Green, Ohio (or as we like to call it 'Blowing Green') we just built four new wind turbines in the last couple of years... and they rock! They are visible for miles around (thanks to the flattest, treeless landscape imaginable) and have become one of the signature images of our community. Here are some pictures of them I took just two days ago...
    [attachmentid=2566][attachmentid=2565][attachmentid=2567][attachmentid=2568]

These photos do not indicate it, but I took these dureing high winds, with the turbine blades happily spinning away... (I wanted to see how well my new CyberShot camera worked... :D )

Here is a link to Green Enery Ohio's numerous information articles about Our experiment in "green energy"...

http://www.greenenergyohio.org/page.cfm?pageID=104

Enjoy!

11. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Kewl. They're neat, eh? My alma mater installed a Vestas V.82 1.65 MW turbine back in SEP 04. I saw it during my 10 year reunion and stood under the blades as they turned. It was much quieter than I would have thought. Very impressive.

Here's stats from the first month of the Bowling Green farm's operation:

The wind farm operated at 30% capacity and 97% availability during its first month of operation according to Bowling Green Municipal Utilities.

So there you go. That sounds very similar to the experience at my college, which is in SE Minnesota.

12. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    well It should be noted that the first two BG wind turbines were installed in 2003 and two more were installed in 2004-2005 for a total of 4. They have prven themselves not only reliable but also an attractive addtion to the Bowling Green landscape... and now other communities in Ohio are seeking to Install windfarms like ours, including pans for a 20+ turbine farm about an hour or two south of here!

13. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah, it's amazing for all of the pissing and moaning about asthetics once the things are in place they're mezmerizing. Case in point, down near Wellington, NZ (where the weather's not so good, the wind it cuts right through you and it rains more than it should) a wind farm has actually become a tourist attraction, hardly an eye sore. They really are cool. On the other hand, there's growing opposition to wind power in Germany where there are turbines all over the place. That's probably a big part of Germany's motivation to go offshore. They are going to be facing a lot of opposition by continuing to build up their land based capacity. It's too bad. If only people stopped and reminded themselves of what coal plants do to the air and water quality (nevermind the CO2).

14. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Yeah, the wind turbines have become quite an attraction here too... They are the largest turbines east of the Rockie Mountains (at 30+ stories tall) and are right off of US-6 for all the cars to see...

As for germany, I stayed with my brother there for a week summer 2004 outside of Frankfurt... there are wind turbines all over the horizion... AND THEY LOOKED GREAT! (I say this not to insult anyone here but after being in Germany for a week I would not put much stock in the German people's opinions of anything... I'll just leave it at that <_< ) I could only hope we had hundreds and hundreds of turbines here.. we have mroe than enough wind going to waste every day...

15. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well, just because you kill less birds than killer number 1 or 2 , doesn't make it less stomachable.
    But I can accept the fact that towers, buildings, windows, human toxins and cats probably own the lion's share of bird killing.

16. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  17. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If you don't want a broker:

http://www.stockbny.com/ge/directps.asp

You too can be part of the solution(or problem depending how you look at it to). They'll be scaling solar too when the time is right:

http://www.gepower.com/prod_serv/products/solar/en/index.htm

I can't wait for the showdown of when alternative energy interests fighs against the oil/fossil fuel/dirty energy interests. I'm sure GE has its share of lobbyists/lawyers to push through legislation to use our tax dollar subsidies for their profit. That's something I won't mind if it's for AE.

18. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Don't forget job creation. The wind industry in Germany employs over 45K people.

19. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes but so often this argument is used by people who could care less as a mean to blocking wind farm construction. Collisions with turbines are orders of magnitude lower than the other sources (and others) that I mentioned. Proper planning, which should be conducted, generally reduces this to a non-issue. The hot water expelled by the cooling towers of coal and nuclear fired plants alone probably causes a much greater impact on the environment than wind turbines.

20. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Good point. I'll bet you there will be a ton of soon to be out of work car manufactoring people who wouldn't mind being retooled to make wind turbines (Or even solar panels if we dare to dream).