1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gear B

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Toyota2, Nov 27, 2022.

1. Toyota2

Toyota2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Any one have the real down low On B
    at times I drive thru Mountains roads . For longevity are there benefits in using B
    coasting for MPG is hampered but over all control on hilly roads seems safer
    So if nothing else can I use as needed without worry of wear and tear to transmission

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The only thing it can hurt is your MPG, and then only if you forget to shift back to D after getting out of the mountains. It doesn't cause any meaningful extra wear on the 'transmission' or engine. While it does spin the engine up to higher speed as engine braking, the torque is significantly less than the regular propulsion torque. It will never over-speed the engine, the computers won't allow that to happen.

Its primary purpose is to prevent friction brake overheat on long descents after the traction battery has filled up from regeneration. Beyond that, use of B is a driver preference issue.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unclear to me if on a downhill slope coasting the battery charges faster in D or B. In any case, if the slope is long enough that the battery will be fully charged before the bottom I turn on the headlights, AC, radio (not that this does much), and the defrosters to direct some of that energy away from the battery.

On a slightly related note, while it is true that the best highway MPG is generally obtained with cruise control on, its insistence on keeping the velocity very near the set point is suboptimal in some instances. In particular, rolling hills. Letting the velocity vary more (highest in troughs, lowest in peaks) would be more efficient. At least in theory. That said, it is tricky driving with as "light a foot" as the cruise control applies, so I am not confident that the MPG I would obtain by matching the optimal velocity profile would in practice be better than what the cruise control obtains.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what does the o/m say?

5. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nothing useful. It says that "B" is for engine braking, that there will be less engine braking than in other vehicles, and that's about it.

bisco likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've got a hill, not really long enough to justify B, but I've noticed: if I go down it in D the battery WILL be full, to the gills. If I shift to B at the top, I reliably end up with charge display a couple of pips below full.

fuzzy1 likes this.