1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gear Shift Keeps Returning to N

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by nbullock, Jun 24, 2009.

1. nbullock

nbullock New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This has happened 2 times in the last 2 days, after sitting in the 97 deg heat all day. I cannot shift to D or R, it keeps going back to N. I have made sure that door was closed, I have applied the break, turned the power on, waited for ready light. I got a ride home with a friend then returned the next morning and it was fine. Then not fine after work. I was able to drive it a bit while holding it in D.

Has anyone heard of resolution to this?

2. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes, I've heard of two or three instances. It could be either some debris within the shift mechanism that needs to be cleaned out or the mechanism needs to be replaced. See this for more.

2 people like this.
  3. nbullock

nbullock New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks - I will be happy, if that is all it turns out to be. It is working fine today.

4. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    To me that would suggest that the sensor that detects that the stick has been shifted over to the left is reporting that it is shifted over when it isn't. This could be the sensor itself, or a wiring problem.

There are two sensors - one detects horizontal movement and the other vertical movement.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree that replacement of the shift mechanism is the likely fix.

With my 2004, when shifting into D I have recently noted a new clicking sound. So I will probably have to replace the shift mechanism in the future, anticipating the click is an indication that the bearings are about to fail.

6. lucky1

lucky1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I had a wire they call a spiral wire that went on one of my taxis.
    The card would pop into neutral at a stop light and I would have to power off and power on again to get the car moving until I had to stop again and it would go to neutral again.
    The wire was $400 Canadian. The car had been in an accident 2 months earlier so I assume that is what eventually led to the wire shorting out.

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I experienced the opposite problem that the OP described: the gear selector remains in R or D when moved to those positions. Apparently the spring that pulls the lever back to N has broken. I just noticed this when taking my 2004 to the body shop this morning for repair to the two driver's side doors (which were hit last Thursday). While the selector is in R or D, you cannot shift into P.

I ordered a new shift lever assembly from Champion Toyota, Houston for $287 plus freight. I'll post instructions on how to replace this part after I receive and install it.

8. Qlara

Qlara New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That would be suck if this Shift-Lever switch tends to fail over time or under hot/cold in a prolonged period.....

9. mfa-prius

mfa-prius Old member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five