1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gearbox issues?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tynyyn, Aug 30, 2021.

1. Tynyyn

Tynyyn Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I backed down my driveway to the road. Put the gear selector switch into D and stepped on the gas pedal. The Prius did not want to go forward. I feathered the pedal and the car seemed to want to buck down the road. Feathered it more and slowly stomped on the gas, yet it seemed to now want to go.

The Prius is an '06 with 269K. This particular problem has manifested itself within the past couple of weeks. I don't know if its bad gas or if the slushbox is acting weird. (I know it is not a traditional slushbox).

Anyone got some input on how I might diagnose what is wrong? Hate to toss this car to the scrap heap cause its been a pretty good car and I like the 40 mpg it gives me.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If it’s indeed the transaxle, my hunch is you’ll need dealership or independent professional mechanics to sort it out. The cure may be too pricey too; and 269k is a good run?

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Any lights on the dash?

4. Tynyyn

Tynyyn Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yea, but I'm too lazy to pull it. I know, Iknow you are rolling your eyes, but I think the CEL is just a O2 sensor light.

Limey Geoff likes this.
  5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You need to read this thread from your first post and maybe you'll recognize how crazy post #4 sounds...:)

The CEL could even be something weird like a TB code..or accelerator pedal code or....guess we'll just never know...

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    worn clutch plate?

7. Tynyyn

Tynyyn Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I know. LIke I said, just pure laziness on my part. But for the past year or so the CEL has been for a O2 issue. Plus I wrote this thread minutes after I went to my other house and I had something important to do. All I'm asking for is possible suggestions as to what might cause this type of pedal nonresponse. Is it a mechanical issue or a software issue? I ain't asking for a specific answer, just a educated guess as to which direction I should go. But I'm guessing you will still say "Hey dude, go pull the codes, first!". :)

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's a light for that and a hundred or so other things, one of which will explain what your car is doing.

9. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    educated guess as to which direction I should go

I vote for South, but LA is kinda gettin their guts stomped currently, so maybe SouthWest, that would take you to Texas. That's a pretty good direction.

The next direction I would go is to ebay to purchase a $150 dollar aftermarket catalytic converter. Install that and sell your OEM for scrap and pocket 1300 bucks.

10. JohnPrius3005

JohnPrius3005 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It’s neither bad gas nor a gearbox problem. It’s an electrical/electronic problem. You can make it go away on an ongoing but temporary basis by disconnecting the 12v bat every time you park the car. This doesn’t make for fun car ownership but it will let you drive around for a few months until you get serious. You may get stranded once or twice so it helps to have a “jumpstart” bat pack with you. Also put your 12v bat on a charger every night.

Thats my best guess after having 3 old Priusses that do something like you describe.

11. Tynyyn

Tynyyn Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Went out this evening and hooked the OBD2 tester up to the Prius. Just as I suspected a p0138 popped up. Nothing else. The Prius ran fine today with no tranny problems. It seems to be an intermittent problem which has me thinking it might be a software issue. That is definitely too deep for my shallow mind to figure out. Though, the temperature in this area is pushing 100*, so if the Prius is sitting in the driveway with the windows rolled up would that heat held in the cabin affect the tranny?

12. zeng

zeng Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    °F is fine with oil, not °C though.

13. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    First thought when I hear "buck going down the road" is possible ICE misfire (but not enough to set a P030x code - yet). I would be watching misfire counters in data, checking and/or replacing plugs and coils, etc.
    I would expect that (most) HV faults that could cause your symptoms to set some sort of code. Can your scanner pull codes from the hybrid control and HV battery ecu's?
    If the symptom returned I would be looking at data from the ICE and hybrid ecu's to see what system is not providing "go power" when requested.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A quick test for random OBD2 testers is to use the tester when the car is in the dark (or throw a newspaper over the solar sensor at the front right of the dash). There is always a B1421 code whenever that sensor is in the dark, so if the OBD2 tester can see that code, that's a good sign that it's usable on a Prius.

Another almost-as-easy test is to go flip the handle on the traction battery service plug, which sets a P0A0D code. Is the OBD2 tester in question able to see that code?

Mendel Leisk likes this.