1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 1 2003 HV cooling fan not working, I think.

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Ol drippy, Aug 21, 2023.

1. Ol drippy

Ol drippy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So I just recently repaired the HV battery and in the process I got the impression my cooling fan doesn't work.

The first I will mention is that I'm not 100% sure I was using the test on tech stream correctly.

Under the HV battery diagnostics in tech stream is an option to test the cooling fan, when I clicked on it it would bring up 4 options, the first option I forget, but the next 3 options are to turn the fan on low, medium and high, when I would select these options and then hit the on button I could hear a relay click but the fan would not spin.

This leads me to suspect the relay is ok because it clicks, although I know that doesn't always mean it's good.

I also took the fan out and applied a 9 volt battery to it to see if it would spin, it did spin, so I suspect even if that is not in the greatest shape it probably would at least move somewhat if it was getting juice.

I'm guessing the thermistors are probably not the cause of the fan not spinning because my assumption is that tech stream should just make the fan spin when I choose that option.

this leads me to believe the problem is either in the wire harness, the digital control module located in the air intake duct, or tue battery control computer has an issue and for some reason is just not throwing a code.

Any thoughts on this dilemma would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. Ol drippy

Ol drippy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I took my car apart to see why my hybrid cooling fan wasn't working today.

stupid me, after testing the wiring harness looking for bad connections, I eventually got to the fan and I found out that like the moron I am I didn't plug the fan back in! LOL

moral of the story, check that you plugged everything back in people, don't be like me, don't be a moron!

ronlewis likes this.
  3. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Or be a moron but just go back and check your work, lol. That's my strategy.