1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 1 addon?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by justkyle, Oct 25, 2010.

1. justkyle

justkyle New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought I read somewhere on the inter-webs about an aftermarket add on for the Prius that basically covered the entire bottom of the vehicle to make it more aerodynamic.

Since, my prius is Gen 1, aerodynamics aren't too important to me.

What is important to me is this vehicle surviving the Indiana Winters (not just this one) but the next 5 or 10 to come.

Has anybody ever installed this on their Gen 1? Did you notice whether or not it helped alleviate any issues regarding the low clearance of the ground and such?

Or, am I just being too much of a worry-wart?

Kyle

2. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Na I don't think you're a worry wart, I worry about lots of things being an owner of both gen1 and gen2 cars. I have also seen the aerodynamic aftermarket additions and if anything it would gain you maybe 1mpg more from altered airflow, but you know anything you hang on there will if anything be lower to the ground then it already is.
    The worst worries I've got right now are both in the gen1, the battery electrolyte leakage causing a short to the metal case right under the back seat, and of course you've probably seen my inv. coolant pump/flowsensor experiment. It would definitely warn you quickly like when on the highway etc...much more quickly than the system will. Heck I've seen horror stories where inverters burn up with NO warning until after the fact. So it could save $$$ keeping your inverter intact.
    Most significant failures besides 12v battery, heater failure etc. occur in the summer when it's hot out, so that's probably a good thing for the gen1's.
    Those are two of my worries, hey guess that means I don't have any worries in the 06'.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The more common modification is a block for the lower inlet when the temperatures are low. This reduces drag and allows the engine and transaxle to stay at hybrid operating temperatures.

Mine is already back on the car and consist of a large 'water noodle' split with notches so it can bend around the air inlet. Some small bungie cord holds it in the slot and I wrapped the front side with duct tape to make it look a little closer to the black color than the blue spongy, water noodle.

Bob Wilson

4. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Bob,
    Yes I think I will be trying that this winter.
    T