1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 1 HV BATTERY REBUILD WITH 2G CELLS

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by UKCLASSICPRIUS, May 15, 2010.

1. UKCLASSICPRIUS

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all!

How you doing?

I have a classic prius, thats got a Major HV battery problem...

It starts, But dont drive! & the only Warning light I am getting on the dash is the MAIN BATTERY icon in Red...(IF I can remmeber properly)

I did have the car read for code, & this is what they came up with:

P3001 - HV Battery Malfunction
    P3030 -
    P3100 - HV Ecu Malfunction
    P3115 - System Main relay Malfunction
    P3125 - Converter Inverter Assembly Malfunction

What do you reckon I am in for? Any of you had these errors?

I have long thought about rebuilding the battery, & have just recently picked up 2x NHW20 battery's... from the 2nd gen prius models... (apparantly ones form a 2006, & the other from a 2007)

I have also today taken out the OLD HV battery from the car & for reference: Most of the modules were reading 6.5volts... a few pairs had dropped below 6volts...

what do you recon?

I have not taken ANY of the BUS bars etc of ANY of the batterys yet, Only the HV Fuse etc...

Only been trying to use my Multi meter's on them & test for readings...

Gen 2 modules are reading 7.5volts in one battery, Did check the other when I got it, but its been a whilst, Will label all the cells & the readings aswell for reference..

2. UKCLASSICPRIUS

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is is advisable to Take all the Bus bars off before checking for Leaking modules? I am trying to check the + of all modules with DC voltage, with Negative on the battery case. getting minus figures? on my digital meter? as my analogue one does not read backwards...

I wish to check & test all HV battery packs, 2x NHW20 & the OLD NHW11 cells...even though I am done with them...

Cant wait to CHAT with you!

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ok,

You've already started. Let me suggest, as soon as you've gotten at least 5 posts, share some photos?

You know, "hello 1", "hello 2", "hello 3", "Oh photos you want, here they are."
    <grins>

Having scored two NHW20 battery packs, you have pretty much 75% of what is needed. Just to fill in any blanks, here is what little I've learned:

Prius Battery Photos

Ok, rebuilding the pack, I would recommend the following:

1. Remove the NHW11 modules, store them for future disposal and/or experiments. Note the + and - orientation before removal.
    2. Remove the NHW20 modules and survey each one: (1) static voltage, and; (2) voltage across a 6 V light. Record the serial numbers and the two voltages ... you are making an inventory of the modules.
    3. Clean the buss bars. Use distilled water and pH test to make sure they are neutral. KOH is tricky stuff and will find every crevice and crack to hid in. Wicked stuff.
    4. Check each sensor wire for corrosion or breaks.
    5. Consider gold foil to treat areas that remain 'suspect' as you don't want to go back anytime soon.
    6. Select the top 38 modules and use an RC charger, one with dV sense to consider a cycle discharge/charge of the modules. If any look suspect, set aside until you get 38 modules with effectively the same Ahr capacity.
    7. Repopulate the NHW11 battery housing putting the strongest pairs in the middle and building out the weakest ones on the ends. Historical data suggests the center modules age first so put the strongest in the center. Don't forget the + and - orientation.
    So like a Monty Python policeman, post "hello" "hello" "hello" until you can post photos. <GRINS>

Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  4. UKCLASSICPRIUS

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Bob Thank you very much for your reply!

*May I say Its an Honour to be chatting with you, As I have read a Wealth of your posts (am trying to understand them to the fullest, even untl Now...)

I must say I have a good few Rc models, & had a good few decent chargers aswell, Just no idea where they got to???? Can Only find the most basic one I have... Which has a discharge button, But no LCD etc... But has got a setting where I can charge at a variable charge rate: 0.5a to 5.5a.

Model number: Pro-peak vairpulse model number = 0-IP2500VP

will check up these Latest features like DV sense, May need to find another charger, Or way to charge these modules... (in Bulk Possibly?)

I have been checking these modules & poking them around with my multimeters, BUT would it be possible for you to express the below Steps a Bit more clearly?

Step 2=

1 .Static voltage?
    2 .voltage across a 6V light?

Step 5=
    1 . golden foil?

I shall have a Good few pictures to add ASAP, Keep a Lookout...

in a bit.... Thank alot in advance....

5. jk450

jk450 New Member

bwilson4web is probably trying to express open circuit voltage, i.e. voltage with no load.

"Static voltage" would actually be the voltage potential across an electrostatic field.

It's a crude method to test the modules under load.

Some folks have suggested gold foil as part of a busbar replacement scheme. However, new busbars are readily available from Toyota. Assuming that the new modules do not leak electrolyte, new busbars will last the life of the car.

1 person likes this.
  6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Good news about replacement buss bar assemblies being available from Toyota. Check on the price but having a new part instead of trying to deal with corroded metal is a good thing!

So translating a few of my casual terms:
    static voltage - open circuit voltage using a high impedance volt-ohm meter.

voltage over 6V light (actually a 12 V light could be used) - just a quick measure of the module under load. Those with a higher ratio are showing greater internal resistance, a bad thing, or a lower state of charge. Regardless, we treat these as 'needing attention' or not a good replacement.

gold foil - some craft shops carry gold foil leaf that can be wrapped around a throughly clean and dry metal to provide a barrier to caustic chemicals and air. But if you can buy a replacement buss bar assembly, you're ahead of the game.

dV test - check the Wiki article on NiMH battery charging as well as some datasheets from the manufacturers. What you'll find is the charging voltage remains fairly flat until the end when there is a quick peak followed by a dV drop. The better RC chargers can detect the dV drop and stop the charge right then. Also, don't forget to clamp the modules as they do generate gas pressure. Also consider that the dV drop is on a per cell basis. The six cells in one module are going to be fairly close. However, module-to-module differences makes bulk charging less likely as their series voltage is additive. The dV hump is likely to occur at different spots causing the individual modules to be at different states of charge ... a bad thing!
    One last thing, don't be in a hurry as much as pay attention to the technical details. You want to do this job once and right. You're looking at several thousands of dollars of material and a bit of labor. Also, remember safety.

When the modules are in series you are looking at 270+ volts and it is quite lethal. Even half a pack, 135 volts is deadly. As you've no doubt learned, they are heavy too! Take it easy, think twice about what your next steps are going to be and don't be rushed. Safety, insulating gloves should be seriously considered during the initial disassembly and final reassembly. For example:
    Remove the buss bar on one side first and make sure it is held away from the module terminals by insulating material. This makes the other side much safer to work on.
    One of the reasons I keep harping on pictures is they provide a record of what you had before you disassemble the parts. They provide a reference so when you are putting it back together, you have something to compare it to. Your disassembly photos become your reassembly photos. <grins>

Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  7. UKCLASSICPRIUS

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was Wishing & trying to test the new batterys / modules before I took them apart, I saw some blue stuff on the some of the terminals & not so sure how long they were put down for before they eneded up with me), BUT to see if they are leaking electrolyte (koh traces)

I was doing this by using DC voltage & or continutiy checking... + of meter probe on + of each module, With - probe of the meter on the main HV battery case. (had to use digital multimeter at this point & not the analogue)

A Bit confused, to as the results I am getting, on the ORIGINAL Classic HV battery modules with NHW11 cells (MINUS) -2 volts odd? (with all the bus bars connected, assume this is sure sign of shortage??) is that right?

On the new modules I wish to see 0 volts,
    *But if they are shorting out along the other end of the bus bar (my readings will go minus again right? & express that there is KOH traces, even on the NEW replacement modules I have just aquired)

& mean my new cells maybe leaking electolyte already?

I feel like checking them NOW, But everything is at my dads house, the 3 batterys & the prius itself, & I am at my own home, Away from the multi meter & batterys :( hence I have not taken pictures for your & my pleasure...

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The traction battery modules are normally isolated from the case. You really need to measure the voltage across the terminals of each module.

Metal salts are often colorful but they hide a deadly reality ... the loss of the metal under it.

Assume nothing, measure everything.

Steady, careful and make a careful record. You can post tables here by using "[" the text "table" and "]" with each column header separated by a "|". Each subsequent row has a "|" between the data values. End the table with "[/" and "table" and "]".

Bob Wilson

9. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hello Bob: Just curious, someday I may have to probe this area, but is thier a distinct difference in the reading of separate battery modules, as compared to reading a output of a module while still connected. And how can a bussbar accumulate resistance, that is, this seemingly thick piece of copper, after being mechanically/chemically scoured should read ZERO ohms. True or Not?

10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You'll be putting the VOM probes on the module terminals. Most probes have a pointy tip, just push the pointy part hard and you'll get a good reading.

You should record:

• module serial number
    • open circuit voltage
    • voltage over a a constant load, say 6V or 12V lamp
    Be patient and work carefully.

Bob Wilson

11. vincent1449p

vincent1449p Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Hi UKCLASSICPRIUS,

I had the HV Battery Warning Light about 3 months ago. I'd like to share what I've learned.

The KOH is colorless. When it corrodes the terminals, it formed the blue stuff that you saw. However, even if you don't find any blue stuff, KOH leakage could still be present. The best is to use pH test to confirm.

With the busbars connected, you won't know whether the shortage are from the modules itself, the Battery ECU or both. What I did was to remove the busbars completely and measured the +ve and -ve terminals to chassis. If you don't get 0V, there are leakages.

You have P3030 code which implies there are problems with the voltage sensing wires or the Battery ECU. Measure all the sensing wires for continuity as well as against each other for resistance.

If all are OK, proceed to connect 1 side of the busbar (the one with voltage sensing wires) and measure the +ve and -ve terminals to chassis.

If all are OK, proceed to connect the voltage sensing wires connector to the Battery ECU and measure again.

If there are abnormal voltages, replace the Battery ECU.

3 people like this.
  12. UKCLASSICPRIUS

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for hitting the nail on the head, thats exactly what I was asking (But probably indirectly LOL!).

On my old battery I was getting Abnormal voltages, BUT it made me think? maybe its the BUS bar thats pinking up voltage from the KOH from another module up the block? (as I disconected the plugs on the battery ECU I am sure, But not the bus bars & wires yet..)

Thanks for bringing that to my attention, that was 1 fault code I did not know the meaning of...

Luvly the above makes so much sense, Nice bit of diagnosing / testing to do, Shall let you now what I find....

13. UKCLASSICPRIUS

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Yes sir, I was measuring the voltage across each module, as well as checking for shortage to the battery case.

results so far:

Old 1g batterys modules = 6.5volts each
    (BUT most mid cells *closer to the ecu had less then 6volts, approx about 4 pairs)

MOST Modules showed shortage to ground, Unless I was not checking them properly... (which I think I was because I checked the 2g batterys the same way & got 0volts as a GOOD result, compared to the minus -1.5v to 2v I was picking up with the 1g battery)

Newer 2g battery modules = 7.2volts each
    (across the board I was getting between 7 - 7.5volts)

*If I checked them properly?
    A few of the modules were showing shortage But not as much as the 1g battey, approx minus -0.63v??? the rest 0volts all the way

I see WHY its so important to take Pics & keep record, I like the table feature part of posting.

I have already NAMED the 3 batterys:

old 1g = A1-38
    1st 2g = B1-28
    2nd 2g = C1-28

1 being next to the battery ecu.

14. UKCLASSICPRIUS

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I will have this info for us today, Including some PICS!

BUT a tad confused? SHALL I take the BUS BARS/wire sensors off, As I was going to Include the fact that if the modules are showing signs of shortage aswell as the above criteria you have asked for???

as "vincent1449p" has expressed the bus bars may be leaking koh along the lines & may pick up neagtive tolerances & harm my actual results? Vs checking modules after disconecting the bus bars & wire sensors + battery ecu plugs etc...

I should ONLY be interested & dealing with the modules that are showing 0v to battery case right? (to start of with anyway)

I just want to Pull the right results for us the 1st time around... & that to without making mistakes....

cheers...

15. vincent1449p

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Hi UKCLASSICPRIUS,

If you can find Boric Acid in your area, use that to neutralize the KOH between the terminals to the chassis. I can't find Boric Acid in my country so I used vinegar and it worked as well.

http://priuschat.com/forums/international-owners/6539-prius-in-singapore.html#post1069605

3 people like this.
  16. vincent1449p

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    It is the other way round. Those showing 0v to battery case are OK, those showing otherwise have leakage to the battery case.

1 person likes this.
  17. UKCLASSICPRIUS

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

No I understand, thats what I meant, those showing 0v are OK!
    BUT I have a few showing MINUS "-figures -0.63v on 2g & upto -2v on my old 1g battery...

BUT that was with the bus bars connected along with everything else, except for battery ECU...

for me to test cells on load & voltage & short to ground MUST I take the connecting parts off 1st? I.e. bus bars, wire sensors, & make the terminals BEAR?

OR Can I do my testing with Everything connected (to terminals), But unplugged ecu?

18. vincent1449p

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    You have non-zero voltages even with the ECU disconnected, that means either the battery modules or the voltage sensing wire connectors have shorts. Therefore, it is necessary to remove the voltage sensing wires to isolate which is causing the shorts.

1 person likes this.
  19. UKCLASSICPRIUS

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    CORRECTION:

I spent around 20 mins with the batterys today!

I confirm there was ONLY 0volts doing the above test, On all the batterys, Even my OLD NHW11.

(I was doing it wrong before with the Battery ECU connected As you suggested)

20. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus