1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 1 Prius as a hobby

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by ginkelvanmichiel, May 7, 2023.

1. ginkelvanmichiel

ginkelvanmichiel New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello to everyone out here!

I'm from the Netherlands and tomorrow I wille be seeing a 2001 Prius. My daily driver car is a Chervolet Bolt EV, so I'm not uncommon to cars with HV batteries, and I've been working on cars for quite a few years.

The seller of the (cheap!) Prius told me there 'could' be a problem with the HV battery, as a readout said, but I'm wondering what you think of the following:

When you turn the key the car gives no error messages. You'll put it in drive, accelerate, nothing wrong. Then, a traffic light turns red, you'll press the brake, car idles for a while, fuel engine turnes off: voila: error message.

The car itself has been stationary for almost a year before it was sold. First thing that came to my mind was that the 12V battery is depleted (a bit), but on the other hand, hence the care wasn't used for a long time the HV battery wasn't charged either...

I contacted the previous owner a year ago, and at that point the car didn't give any errors.

So what do you think? Is it possible that the HV battery depleted during the stand still? Or is this a common problem with older (140.000 miles) HV batteries? I can easily swap the battery pack with my knowledge, but if it isn't necessary I will not swap it ;)

Unfortunately I don't have any of the error codes.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Well fortunately when you go to look at the car you can get the error codes and see what you got Yes the battery could be flat but it should charge up pretty quickly once the car is ready and somebody gets out and starts really driving it the 12 volt first comes to mind sitting for a year yeah that thing's probably got eight volts or something silly so you don't use your expertise and your knowledge once you get to the car until then it's just a crap shooting the dark We know it's been sitting a year That's bad enough

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a 22 year old hybrid will be a great hobby car. expect a lot of things to go wrong and constant fun diagnosing and repairing.
    all the best!

4. dabard051

dabard051 Tinkerer-in-Charge

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    heads up. The vehicle has been out of production for 19+ years, and did not achieve large volume during production, so spares are becoming hard to come by, even through Toyota.
    Great little vehicle for those with the patience and no small amount of ingenuity to maintain....

bisco likes this.
  5. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    If it starts and drives the HV battery isn't completely depleted. The gas engine stalling at a stop light will set a diagnostic code, you'll need a code reader to find out more.

6. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    May be a problem finding a replacement Gen 1 battery pack.

Couple of suitable options:
    https://projectlithium.com/products/prius-gen1-lithium-upgrade-pack-19-blocks
    https://2ndlifebattery.com/product/2001-2003-toyota-prius-hybrid-refurbished-battery/

7. dabard051

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The only other problem with a "hobby car"" car is that it becomes like a slightly dotty spouse. Then, at some point, the realization arrives that it is necessary to put the "hobby car" to a permanent rest (due to failure of a major structure member, for example).

Cue the song "Fifty Ways to Leave Your Lover" by Paul Simon.
    (youtube link).

8. Trombone

Trombone Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The ICE "stalling" while the car isn't moving is normal behavior. The engine is programmed to shut off under that circumstance, unless it is charging the HV battery and/or the AC is operating. Does the engine start up when you press the accelerator pedal to move on? What do you mean by "error message?" Does the check engine light (CEL) come on? Whatever is going on, you'll need to pull the codes, as has been said already.

9. ginkelvanmichiel

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I’n going to see the car today. I’ll keep you informed.

bisco likes this.
  10. ginkelvanmichiel

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, it was a neat car and the code was clear: malfuctioning hv battery pack.

block 10-11-12 read 14,5V, the other blocks 15,89.

I’ll inspect the busbars later, maybe there’s a lot of corrosion on them, especially at 10-11-12.

during the 85 mile trip back home the car sometimes switched to neutral when it would have engaged the electric motor. With a simple restart the car drove fine. There were no other fault codes. So I know what job is coming up!

11. ginkelvanmichiel

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And there she is!

Attached Files:

Montgomery, Louis19 and ammdb like this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    gorgeous! please post your progress, all the best!

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My favorite color. Now you've made me miss mine.

14. dabard051

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats! Nice lookingz vehicle....
    Just a heads up, since you plan to open the HV battery for inspection & cleaning, be sure to pay attention to the plug/connector where the sense harness connects to the battery computer. It may be showing signs that it is vulnerable to failure such as is described in this thread:

HV Battery Almost fire and replacement :'( | PriusChat

May good luck follow you with the repair!

15. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks great! Might be worth a new Toyota battery pack if one can be found.

16. ginkelvanmichiel

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Today I started working on the Prius. Plugged in my OBDII scanner and the data is pretty clear: There are 5 modules with a lower voltage.
    I first measured the SOH when the car wasn't used for a couple of days, and then I drove a couple of km's to see if it affected the voltage of the 'low' modules. It certainly does: they are charged, just like the other ones. The only problem is that the unbalance between the modules is still there.

So now I have to make a plan: do I need to swap these modules, or can I simply rebalance the pack and try again? Here in the Netherlands the modules are quite hard to obtain, so íf I want to swap the modules I might need to get GEN 2 modules and replace them all...

What do you think?

before driving a few kms:
    IMG_7650.JPG
    IMG_7658.JPG

After driving a few kms:
    IMG_7664.JPG IMG_7665.JPG

17. ginkelvanmichiel

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've made two seperate tables/graphs to see the difference:
    Before driving:
    verschilgrafiek voor rijtest.JPG

After driving:
    verschilgrafiek.JPG

18. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    There are 38 modules, a pair for each of the 19 banks. Each module has six 1.2v cells. Looks like several modules have a bad cell so I believe these modules will need to be replaced (I've never reconditioned a battery, so not sure if bad cells can be revived, but if it's the original pack it's probably not worth the time).

Not sure if gen1 and gen2 modules can be mixed, so will need to replace all 38. Best option is a new pack from Toyota if available.

There's also after market new modules you can install yourself, like Project Lithium https://projectlithium.com/?ref=mG0GE

19. ginkelvanmichiel

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately these kind of projects are designed for the 2nd generation Prius. Otherwise it was an easy choice

20. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A