1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 1 question, please help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cabral255, Nov 4, 2010.

1. cabral255

cabral255 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    I read in the owners manual that the engine antifreeze should be an ethylene glycol type. I believe that Prestone makes this type of coolant in a 50/50 mix. Is that correct? Also, what type of coolant does the inverter use? I want to try and stay away from buying it at a dealer. Also, my gen 1 has 117,000 miles and I must admit that I have been slacking with the maintenance. My gas mileage is down to 40/mpg compared to 48-49mpg when I got the car two years back with 40k. I am pretty sure the original auxillary batter is still in it, so I order a new one today. I also plan an changing the transaxle fluid, PCV valve, air filter, and cabin filter. The plugs where changed at 80,000 miles. Where can I order a gasket for the transaxle pan? I intend on dropping it and cleaning it out. Do you think this will help get the gas milage back up? Thanks, Jay

2. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You should have posted in the Gen-1 forum, maybe one of the moderators will move this thread. I'll try to answer what I can.

If your gas mileage has suffered, my first reaction is to look into the intake and see if there is oil built up in there. Here's a nice video and article on how to do that on a Gen-1:

http://www.evtalk.org/201/overfilled-oil-in-a-toyota-prius/

Also, check the tire-pressure. If the 12V battery is original, I'm quite amazed as they usually don't last that long. 5 years is about normal, from what I'm told. A new one certainly couldn't hurt and may improve your mileage. It is certainly time to change all of the fluids, but I can't see that affecting fuel economy. 40 mpg is still not bad, though. how long are your trips? Have they changed since you first bought the car?

Personally, I'd buy the fluids from the dealer. They aren't that expensive and it is not like something you have to replace all the time. I'd rather make sure I got the stuff designed to work with the car.

3. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do you have to remove a pan on the CVT drive to drain oil and coolant.? I thought it had a drain plug for both? The gen 2 has drain plugs. H

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Classic transaxle has a removable drain pan unlike the 2G. Hence, it has a drain pan gasket. The drain pan also contains a drain plug. This holds the transaxle ATF fluid.

The inverter coolant is drained via a separate drain plug.

I recommend that the OP buy the drain pan gasket at toyotaworld.com or metrotpn.com as well as the other parts needed, such as the filters and the PCV valve.

I also recommend that the OP spend a little more and buy Toyota Long Life Coolant or Super Long Life Coolant for the engine and inverter/transaxle coolant loops. The first has a 30K mile service life while the latter has a 50K mile service life.

After doing all of that service, if the OP finds that mpg has not improved, then I suggest that the wheel alignment and parking brake adjustment should be checked.

1 person likes this.