1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 2 Battery woes ... again

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by MartinB, Nov 30, 2017.

1. MartinB

MartinB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Over the last 17 years I have owned two Prius'. Both have had hybrid battery failures at an early age. The first one died at around 110000 miles. I went ahead and had the battery replaced. Then about two months later the transaxle went bad on that Prius to the tune of about $10500. So instead of fixing it I ended up buying another Prius about 8 years ago. Now this 2007 Prius has a bad hybrid battery at about 139000. I consider this to be a bit early for this battery to go bad, and I am worried that if I replace the battery again that I will have some other catastrophic failure. My question is, has anybody had any good or bad experience with their car after replacing the hybrid battery?

I should also note that I have contacted Toyota to see if they can help with the cost of repair as is recommended on this website.

Martin Beumer

#1 MartinB, Nov 30, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Generally speaking: Those who go the repair/rebuilt/refurbished battery route, end up doing it again (sometimes again, again & again); those that buy a new battery FROM Toyota don't. As of just a few weeks ago, you can now purchase NEW aftermarket modules from a PC member and make your own new battery for up to thousands less. (he doesn't offer a plug & play option)

As always YMMV.