1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 2 CV axle noise - is this normal for this type of car?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Matt Biskup, May 30, 2022.

1. Matt Biskup

Matt Biskup Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    quick question. I'm noticing at times a solid 'ping' sound when I change direction from reverse to drive.

Is this sound normal for a Gen 2 Prius? The car is a 2005 with 155,000 miles.

The sound seems to be coming from the CV axle, a very clear sound where the CV axle meets the wheel bearing. There is quite a bit of play at each end of the driver's side CV axle. Should there be this much play?

However, it could be the transmission itself and the noise sending down the CV. I've used two different types of automotive 'stethoscope' and it really appears to be coming from the CV axle at the wheel bearing. Motor mounts are not broken and don't make the sound I'm hearing.

I've installed new front wheel bearings, front brake calipers, front brake shoes, and both CV axles. These are not Toyota OEM parts.

Is this sound an issue worth chasing?

I'm considering doing some cosmetics (the new front bumper cover needs to be painted, the right quarter panel needs paint, window tint, etc.) to the car and I want to make sure that I have this issue put to bed before I spend time and money on cosmetics.

I've done all my own work from revitalizing the HV battery, new inverter coolant pump, new inverter coolant 3-way valve, and new tires, I even installed a stereo with CarPlay and a backup camera. I'm really enjoying the car.

Thoughts on the noise?

I posted a short video of the sounds to YouTube here

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    definitely not. non oem parts these days, who knows?

Matt Biskup likes this.
  3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It sounds and looks like there is some play in the splines between the outer CV joints and the hub assembly. Are the axle nuts torqued to spec? Sometimes I have muted the noise by packing the axle splines with heavy grease before assembly. Sometimes I have used some low strength thread locker (can be a pain to remove later without a special puller). Once or twice I have had to just replace the axle or hub- whichever had more wear.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    When I do mine on the 09 I'll do the bearing in the aluminum front arm and the drive axle at the same time because they're all at 300K so they'll go in a match set and I won't use the most expensive thing but not the cheapest either generally middle of the road these parts are not any kind of high-tech special needs

5. naterwilson

naterwilson New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have this issue. Whatever happened?

6. Matt Biskup

Matt Biskup Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't solved it yet. In April 2023, the traction battery gave me the red triangle of death. I got started on another project car, and the Prius went unused for a year. It's back! I culled some modules from the pack (the first one bad was in the center—no surprise there), used a MaxxVolts float charger to bring the pack back up, and we're off and rolling as a daily again. And I still have the click.

I'm going to replace the coils and plugs this morning, then maybe poke around and try to identify the click noise source again using some of the tips offered above. My oldest son is going to put the Prius into daily service again. I'm happy that it's getting used. 168,000 miles. I love this car.

7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Best thing is to not take them out of service and have them sitting but you got to do what you have to do. Generally replacing all that stuff at one time yields the best result you don't have to use thousands of dollars worth of new parts just try to stay in the middle ranges and you'll do reasonably well.