1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 2 Headlamps :(

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 05PreeUs, Jan 13, 2017.

1. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well our 2005 Prius decided that it would scare our daughter the other night by failing BOTH low-beam headlamps at the same time that it illuminated the "Service Required" lamp.

After some research, and OM reading, I quickly came to believe that:
    1) I had forgotten to reset the oil life at the last change, causing the "SS" lamp :(
    2) We had the misfortune of actually failing two headlamps at the exact same time.

There was some concern that an underlying problem caused the headlamp failure as it is exceptionally rare for this to occur. In fact, I have only seen it once before and that was due to an overcharging alternator. As these cars do not have an alternator and it had not been "jumped", I discounted that. At the end of the day, because someone had mis-aligned the LH headlamp retaining wire, I had to remove the bumper cover to replace the lamps; that event is the reason for this post.

Should you experience a situation where you need/want to replace BOTH headlamps (or turn lamps for that matter), REMOVE THE BUMPER COVER! There are "only" about a dozen bolts, all with 10mm heads and it is very easy to do. Given the proclivity for these cars to have headlamp problems, I wanted to assure the PC community that removal of the cover is NOT something to be feared!

2. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bumper a must because it the blub touch any thing on the housing they last 2mo
    I would do both any way and way cheaper on ebay expecially HID one they're the Silver Box on the bottom with the silver cover plug hundred dollars each at O'Reilly's 20 bucks on eBay for 2 but I would make sure you have 12 volts at the light first should be able to reach one of the plugs after turning the cap off if it's silver cap I wouldn't try measuring it with a meter but if it's a plastic cap should have 12 volts on two pins and there's three pins but if you have low beams or high beam most likely you'll have both if you have one and it's just a lamp not a fuse just make sure you have the right size screwdriver for the two screws that touch the hood you don't want to strip them out and if you do stop them out pull up the rubber used by Scripps to remove the bolt then reinstall with the vice grips and push the rubber back over may need to slice the inside slightly with the razor blades so it's a little bigger so I can slide open the bolt again and if you had an odd noise when turning the car off replace the pump at the same time they're $30 on eBay but every car I've had I had to replace driver side just under the covers just remove the covers and you'll hear it and see it

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And if your headlight strobes then goes out and you can turn it on and off and the headlight will come back on you bought the wrong bulb pins to Short make sure the inside panel above the same size when you replace it on the HIDs then make one slightly smaller than the other but if you send it from an oem number should work

4. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well "a must" I'm not sure about, but certainly if you touch the bulbs with your fingers, they will fry - potentially immediately.

HIDs are not a solution, but a bigger and more costly problem, IMO.

We chose regular 9003/HB2s because as the temperature color increases, the life span DECREASES and dramatically so.

5. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's the oil from your hand or opening of the cover if they touch 2mo (make a hot spot )they have a warranty so exchange them x2 before before a guy told me to not touch any of the glass to anything and now they work years and I drive with them on 100% of the time now.