1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 2 Individual battery modules replaced, but still get triangle of death

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by sli, Nov 7, 2017.

1. sli

sli Junior Member

I am pretty new at trying to service my Gen II 2006 Prius. It has 155k miles on it.
    After the triangle of death showed up initially, I read quite a few threads on this forum on battery module replacement and decided to give it a try.

I replaced 3 modules and put the HV battery back into the car. I was able to start up the car and actually drove it around. It seemed to act normal, somewhat like before the triangle of death showed up.

However, the triangle of death is still showing and so is the little car icon with the exclamation mark on the MFD. The HV battery SOC seems normal. Prior to replacing modules, it was jumping up and down erratically and the HV fan was at full blast as soon as I start the car. Now the fan did not turn on for the short trail drive that I did.

I believe my 12 V battery is also weak, it is about 5 years old so I have been using a battery boaster to slow charge it. I am hoping that I can prove the HV battery is holding up before spending another $200+ to replace the 12 V battery.

I don't have those scan tools. Is there a way to clear the triangle of death with the scan programs?

TIA.

2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    - Turn the car on to READY and back off 5 times.
    - unhook the 12v battery for 5 seconds.

If the problem is no longer present, then the lights should go away.

It is worth the (under $50) expense for a tool/app that can help you see live data as well as clear codes.

I've attached a photo of the kind of info you can see live. All battery block data, for instance. Screenshot_20171107-084127.png Screenshot_20171107-084127.png

Totallylost and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your 12 volt battery is low according to that photo.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it would be worth investing in a volt meter for the 12v, and they come in handy otherwise as well.

5. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah. This pic was from a car that had multiple issues. 12v battery turned out to be fine, but connection to negative post was loose. Customer forgot to tighten it when replaced the 12v.

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wouldn't be the first time I heard that! LOL.

7. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm afraid, you must ha e skipped some of the procedures.
    Did you cycle them, or just a more QUUCKER way, put the donor modules in there, and just drive?
    You'd definitely have those signs showing up on the dash, if you didn't cycle them to bring those three modules, and your existing pack to equal capacity, and, probably voltages.

You might also want to reaarange the middle modules toward the end of the pack, for better air flow.

Can you display the block voltages here using tech stream? That software isn't expensive. You could get it on eBay, or so, for some few bucks.

Nice try though, being able to even ripped up the pack, and replace the modules.

Dxta

8. sli

sli Junior Member

First off, thanks for all the advice.

I did one more power on/off cycle and the warnings went away.
    Then I drove 10-15 miles on local streets and freeway. At first, everything was looking good, but then the Triangle of death came on again and the hybrid battery cooling fan kicked on also.

@Dxta, yes, you were right, I did not do the complete job that was described by others, like rebalancing, or re-arranging the mobules. I was hoping the quick shortcut can buy me more than 10 miles of driving without the Triangle showing up.

At this point, I am not sure I am ready or knowledgeable enough to do the proper reconditioning.

9. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The instructions for the Prolong system are here.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You could read up some of the threads on battery balancing and stiffs like that.

If you're not in a hurry, a d you've got some time, buy some of the hobby chargers online, and perform the cycles. But if you ain't gat no time, you could grid charge the pack, with the hybrid charger being talked about here.

PS: You've got to read a whole lit on the hybrid thread to have an idea what you'd be doing.

Dxta

11. sli

sli Junior Member

The instructions for the Prolong system are here.

From reading the product description and other thread on Priuschat, once the triangle of death shows up, then Prolong system will not work until any bad module is isolated and replaced, it that right?

12. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Their FAQ says this:

The next phase of battery failure is a failure light on the dash and cell failure. Our products can still help vehicle owners in this situation, but the success rate depends on how long it has been since the failure first appeared. If this describes your car, please give us a call to discuss your specific situation and learn how much our products can help you and your hybrid vehicle battery.

From Prolong® Battery Systems FAQ - Hybrid Automotive

Whenever @jeff652 swings by he can answer your questions.

Totallylost likes this.
  13. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It would really help to have some live data so that you can assess next steps.

If you can see ahead of time that one module is shorted or has high IR then you know that it needs to be replaced. But if it is simply an imbalance then you might be able to address it with rebalancing.

Raytheeagle and Prodigyplace like this.
  14. Totallylost

Totallylost Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Prodigyplace (I will also send to Jeff652): in my case, the red triangle did show up but immediately thereafter from there, the car went to the dealership and diagnosed parked back here and not used. Does this mean that the charger/discharger will not help us after it was ordered for my valentines gift? :(

15. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    From Jeff's comments in your other thread, I think it may help. If not, you may need to replace a module first and then recondition If I were in your place, I would trust the advice from the Hybrid Automotive people.

Totallylost and Raytheeagle like this.
  16. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Replace the module (s), then recondition using your Valentine’s Day gift and you’ll be good to go;).

Keep us posted (y).

Totallylost and Prodigyplace like this.
  17. Hybrid Battery Exchange

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You need to get your hands on basic diagnostic tools so you can read hybrid system codes and freeze frame data, the answer is right there and only the car knows it.

Totallylost likes this.
  18. nathaniel Stuckey

nathaniel Stuckey New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I have a 2006 Toyota prius with 451,000 on it so far I've replace 3 modules I do all the scanning with the torque pro app and seems like a car is running good got good power mpg is 38 and the out of the blue the red triangle comes on again I run a scan on it and it saying another 2 or 3 modules is bad its like is it gonna ever end ? Do I need to buy a rebuild battery with the car having that many miles? Are the cells that work out I've ran load test I've balanced them with hobby charger am I doing something wrong or is the pack just tired ? The state of charge battery log on the dash fluctuate so much it will be half then it will be down 2 bars then it will charge up to full or the half mark and then slowy go down when car is running in parked.

19. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi and welcome to PriusChat.

I'm thinking that you have had a really good run on the original HV pack with only changing out 3 modules so far.
    Unfortunately, this is par for the course. And it most likely will not end until you have replaced all modules. So given that it might be time to invest in all-new modules and change the whole lot and be done with it. Depending on the car and how good it is, you could buy a new set of aftermarket modules from newpriusnbatteries.com or a new OEM pack from Toyota.

If it is in not so good shape you could try and buy a battery out of a recent wreck. It needn't be from a Prius – any NiMH pack from a recent Camry, HiHy, Prius c (you will need two packs), etc will work as you will be transplanting the modules into your case.
    Without knowing your process, I don't think we could say, but most likely it is not anything you are doing, it is just that you working with old and tired modules.
    This definitely sounds like you should be thinking about replacing the whole lot and be done with it.

That is my $0.02 worth.

20. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When one module fails in a pack, it is only a matter of time before the next module fails...and the next...and the next.

And on top of that, each time you put in a different module you are introducing more variability. Which increases the likelihood that the batttery will get out of balance.

It's a losing game.

Continue playing it as long as it is still fun for you. But if you need reliability, you may have to move on.

Raytheeagle likes this.