1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 2 IPhone 4

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by grey15, Mar 22, 2011.

1. grey15

grey15 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've been searching everywhere and I can't seem to find anything. Is there any way to play music from my phone through bluetooth, by jailbreaking the phone or something? Thanks for the help, this is my first post and I'm lovin this site!!

2. GigaTigga

GigaTigga New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The gen 2 Bluetooth supports only headset profile so it would sound awful and only come out of the one speaker. You could get a Bluetooth a2dp adapter, plug that into your aux or tape cassette adapter and do Bluetooth that way, but not integrated in the gen 2 Bluetooth. Hope this helps!

3. FreydNot

FreydNot Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is what I do. I have one of these http://www.amazon.com/BlackBerry-60-1699-01-RM-Bluetooth-Stereo-Gateway/dp/B001FFRN18
    in the center console that is plugged into the Aux port and gets power from the cig lighter port. I found it has a lot of noise from the power port so I am in the process of getting the T-SB-0067-08 applied (the parts are on order).

Works good and no wires.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep, the Gen 2 never came w/Bluetooth A2DP support to enable playing music over it. The OP has an 06, which has no tape deck, even as a choice. He's best off with using the aux in.

5. ktpett49

ktpett49 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I just bought an Airport Express (AX) for the AirPlay feature. The AX allows you to connect a wireless network to the AUX In port in your Prius. The only thing different from using this in your house compared to using it in your Prius is getting the AX the AC power it wants. A simple inverter will do this.

I also use the new tethering feature to connect my iPad 2 to my iPhone 4 for data purposes. By setting the Airport Express to join my iPhone 4's personal hotspot network rather than extending it, I can still use my iPad for other purposes as it streams music (GPS, movies, etc.) This also allows my iPhone to connect to the Prius Bluetooth connection.

Hope this helps...it sure got me what I was looking for...wireless bliss!

6. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

My 2006 Prius only supported my AT&T RAZR phone if I downloaded one number at a time. It still works fine. Audio is great through the wireless system. I don't want to play ITunes, but want to get an IPHone Gen4 and am afraid I won't be able to upload numbers, or will have to delete old phone book and then upload one by one and it won't work and then will have to return 4G Iphone and go back to my RAZR and start all over. HELP!
    terri

7. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

I used a website from Toyota and answered my question:

The IPhone 3G will sync with my 2006 Prius but neither entire phone book nor single numbers can be trasferred to the hands free dialing system.

Here is the link: Can either enter your car and year or enter year and select phone you are thinking of buying:

http://www.toyota.letstalk.com/brands/toyota-bt/pdf/551_05Navi.pdf

and here is the main link for 3G IPhone:

Find a new phone for the=

Here is the link for the website at Toyota:

So you can either do by car and year and see which are most compatible or look for phone you want and see if it is compatible:

Toyota Bluetooth Phone

If anyone has had success in transferring numbers in a 2006, either singly or entirely, please post!

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I was unsuccessful in getting a single or multiple phone numbers from my iPhone 3G (and I think my iPhone 4, that I have now) to my 06 Prius w/nav. The same iPhone 3G succesfully uploaded ALL its phone numbers in one fell swoop to a Lexus HS 250h w/nav that I had won a 1 week free test drive of.

I wish I were a Bluetooth protocol/profiles expert so I knew what was missing on the 06 Prius or iPhone side. The HS 250h has a newer generation nav system than that of the 2nd gen Prius.

FWIW, I was able to upload multiple phone numbers (in batch) from my Sprint Motorola RAZR V3m to my 06 Prius. I had to select the ones I wanted uploaded and it worked.

9. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

So this supports everything I found on Toyota's website. My RAZR works great, hands free and numbers transferred in 06, one by one and I can add new ones that I put on SIM card. Spring has two phones, too, that will allow number transfers.

Neither 3G nor 4G IPhones allow number transfers to hands free, but will do everything else. What's the point of having hands free if you have to look up a number and then hit "send" to dial in the car.

Someone from APPLE said that they felt it would work, that I just had to transfer my SIM card to the IPhone. That would make sense that phone would recognize the card, since the numbers are already stored in my hands free. Keep the phone as the same one in the hands free and have BT recognize it? Is it the card that carries the recognition of BT AND the numbers, or would it see it as a different phone and therefore not recognize the numbers?

I will ask at APPLE, but Toyota says no go to number transfers from almost all the more advanced phones.

terri

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There's basically something that the 2nd gen Prius and/or the iPhone doesn't support that's keeping the iPhone to Prius transfers from working. You might not get a clear answer from Apple as they can't know what the deal is w/all the cars out there. BT isn't an easy subject. :( See [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_profile"]Bluetooth profile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]. I wish I were a BT protocol expert and that I had some sort of sniffer (like a packet sniffer for networks) so I could see what each side was trying (or not trying) and failing on.

Transferirng the SIM from your Motorola RAZR phone to the iPhone won't help. All the iPhone can do is import the phonebook entries that are on the SIM and those are usually very primitive in formatting (only 1 name field [no separate fields for first and last name, thus the iPhone has to guess that the 1st part is the first name and the part following the space is the last name] and1 phone #). iPhone doesn't support exporting entries to/writing to the SIM, AFAIK.

If you could WRITE to the phonebook entries on the SIM and put that SIM in that RAZR, and have it upload to the Prius, that'd work.

Back to what I was saying about the capabilities. If you were to drop by a Lexus dealer (for kicks) and try a HS 250h w/nav, you'd should find that you could upload your entire phonebook from your iPhone to the HS, in one fell swoop. I was surprised that it worked for me.

11. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    On my 2006 I used my laptop with bluetooth to transfer all my contacts to the car. I had a post on this a couple years ago.

12. ishp2005

ishp2005 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Here's the unit I use on my 2008 second generation Prius. I also used one on my 2010 Prius to listen to music through my cars audio system: