1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 2 issues

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ash Patel, Jan 7, 2024.

1. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2007 Prius with 170000 miles done on the car. Recently noticed the hybrid battery going to two bars very often when the AC or heating is on. Also getting high revs when driving and accelerating. I also noticed when doing over 40mph I’m getting some noise from the from of the car near the windscreen vents. Any idea what the issue could be?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like the hybrid battery is aging

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The revving engine is because your car uses more engine than battery when the pack doesn't have enough charge. Your battery pack is still ok, but its age means its lost near 50% of its capacity. You can restore the pack back to 96% capacity by deep cycling (reconditioning) the pack with three rounds of progressively deeper discharges and recharges using a charger and discharger from Maxx Volts or Prolong... Or you can build your own: Build Hybrid Battery Maintenance Gear For Under $100 | PriusChat

If you want to learn more about how this works, here's probably the best two explanations here: FAQ - Hybrid Automotive and here: BU-807: How to Restore Nickel-based Batteries - Battery University

4. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    PriusCamper. Would you mind giving a summary on that thread? Can I really cobble up something for about $100 that will recondition a battery and how long does the reconditioning take? battery out?