1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 2 Leaking Cell Fix

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PumaPunku, Aug 14, 2019.

1. PumaPunku

PumaPunku Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The P0AA6 - 526 - 612 code is the ground fault isolation code that points to a high voltage DC leak in the battery pack. In my 2005 Prius with 194,000 miles, that ground fault was caused by electrolyte leaking from end cavity on the bottom of two cells. The cavity is where the mounting screw hole is located. The fix for the leaking fluid was to use Loctite, self mixing, one minute set, two part epoxy from Home Depot. Walmart, Lowes, etc. Remove the cells from the case, scuff the plastic around the cavity with sandpaper to promote adhesion. The epoxy is thick so take your time and drip the epoxy into the cavity, use a toothpick or similar to eliminate air bubbles. Let cells sit undisturbed and upside down for a half hour or so (epoxy sets in a couple of minutes but takes 24 hours to cure). Reassemble pack, install, clear codes and that should do it. Use scanner to monitor cell voltage and internal resistance. If all looks good then this fix will by you some time. I won't play the wack a mole cell replacement game. So when cells start to fail I will replace the pack with new kit from New Prius Battery for $1,600 and you keep the old core.