1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 2 Max speed (European prius experience)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Georgios, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Georgios

Georgios Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi all, not long ago i returned from my trip to eastern europe, where i originate from. I went around town and saw there is a 2007 grey prius for sale and i bough it on behalf of someone else who needed car. It came from Italy (imported in Dec 2019) and had no rust at all.
    I have had wonder many times whats the difference between the US priuses and the other markets (italy in this case) because we all know they have different stuff on them, especially the EV button (got used to and now i want to put in the US prius)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The priuses there are much lesser equipped with stuff than north american priuses i am sure now. Reason for that is the lack of options on 3/4 of all cars in general. The prius i got was really basic version and i was looking for a strong car more than "optional" car but even if i looked all priuses around (like 7) only 1 or 2 that are 2006 and up had reversing camera, and cruse control. Thats crazy. Jbl..good luck. I really missed the sound of the JBL, its so much better. But overall car is absolutely the same. Quality..the engine noise and feel, even the smell its the same too. The acceleration too. I have had prius for long enough to memorize exactly how it feels.
    Another thing is most of the cars have no xenon lights but the H4s. The headlight body has a hump right in the middle which is totally different that the NA version.
    On the plus side its equpped with the 16 inch wheels (tires are tons of money) and the best part of the car is the rear discs. I mean the debate is long if there is any benefit at all from discs but its very "sexy" look. More sporty. Also inside the A pillars are cover with suede similar to the headliner.
    Another annoying thing is they dont have illumination dimmer. Instead the button for the MPH/KM/H button is replaced by a button that makes the dimming on 3 levels. Driving with headlights during the day is mandatory and when you do that the speedometer dimms really low even in its highest setting.
    Another annoying thing is the seatbelt alarm. First start quieter than the NA version but then it gets louder and sooo loud. And beeps for twice as long before it stops.

I did replaced the WS fluid (went and bought from dealer just 4 qts) and they charged me 158 bucks and that's the normal price JUST FOR THE OIL PURCHASE. Then engine oil - bough Total semi synthetic oil and it was close to 80 bucs for 5L jug. Unbelievably expensive oils and gasoline. People are tought that oil is luxury and expensive and so when i asked why the oils are so expensive for some unheard brands, they said well thats a luxury car and requires expensive stuff. And the car is anything but picky on oil or luxurious. And the oil the care came with from italy was looking like diesel oil. Blackest black. They change oil at 10k km which is fine when oil level and duty cycle is monitored and correct but they do that on old cars. 10 years and newer its like 20k km.

I also replaced the front and rear brakes and i was looking at the rear set up to figure out how to make my US car with discs and since the corona virus pandemy was starting i had to wrap up fast and get out. But i believe those are parts from other toyotas around. Hubs, lines and calipers probably will be same as some yaris or auris (we dont have it here) or probably prius C...who knows

I also tested max speed. European roads are way smaller and have lower speed limits (only excluding german highways but that's only 1 country) others have 50km/h on city roads and its really slow. Highways are just a tad higher limits but the 2 lanes highways are horrible with trucks restricted to 80-90km/h which makes overtaking annoying because people are flying in the left lane while you overtake. So the prius is not a slow car ata all. Half of european cars are tiny slow diesels, that are tiny and the prius has zero problems overtaking and its like a lightning lol
    Max speed was climbing pretty good to 180km/h and then the speedo stops counting. But car still accelerates and gas pedal was not depressed to full. Gas consuption is same, i use 95 octane RON (not US octane) with 10% biological addition which is pretty much ethanol. I recorded a video but before that i tried the max speed and was going longer and probably reached 200 km/h.
    On my phone gps it was like 6km slower. The US prius shows me exactly the same speed as my gps and have same wheels.

In Europe the Prius is huge. And in hard to fit it in standard garages, I scratched the mirror on drivers side as it was tight everywhere. Also the side mirrors are different. Driver's side has convex, which is not bext one around and the passenger side is not a "far away object mirror. On the picture you can see on the right side is a normal 4 door hatchback and on the left side is a standart minivan Renault or something. THe prius is like massive LOL[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks guys and be safe

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Data Daedalus, ydpplqbd and bisco like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nice write up, thank you!(y)

Data Daedalus and Georgios like this.
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I may be wrong but isn't 180 kmh just the same as 112 MPH?

Data Daedalus likes this.
  4. Georgios

Georgios Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yes. It's around 112mph. I would say i have reached like 120-5 mph. I wander whats the most one out there before it really tops off.

And where to get the button for the EV mode? Is Sigma best place to do that? Thanks