1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 2 Prius all dash lights turned on while driving then car shut off

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Prius gives me headaches, Jun 30, 2023.

1. Prius gives me headaches

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hey guys, I’m recently a new 2009 Prius owner and seen all the common issues on the Prius and what it will bring, from the speedometer not coming on while driving to the traction light kicking on while driving 60+ mph because of different tire sizes and now I’m enduring this problem.

I was driving on the highway when I got a check engine light with a “problem” prompt onto the center dash followed by a car icon with a red exclamation mark, then the lights on the dash (even the red triangle was lit) turned on and stayed on, followed by a continuous beep sound that would never turn off. The Prius kept driving for a quarter-mile until the car would kick itself into neutral, at first I managed to put it back in to drive and kept driving, short period later The car did not want to accelerate and kick the self back to neutral until I had to forcibly pull over. The dash lights would still be on but wouldn’t let me turn the vehicle on, eventually all the power was cut off but I press the yellow button on top of the battery located in the rear and everything turned back on. It wouldn’t be long until It would repeat the same process. What couldy be causing this issue anybody? I greatly appreciate it

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Sounds like maybe an inverter pump problem so you do the troubleshooting for that boot up the car get out lift the hood take the jug cap off the jug next to the inverter which is the silver cap that says hybrid synergy drive or hybrid power or whatever it says on it that's your inverter there's a jug next to that should be filled with reddish pink fluid when you take the cap off you should note that fluid is moving and if you touch the hose that you can readily see from that reservoir going down to the pump you should feel vibration none of that going on probably need to follow the instructions to replace the inverter pump and check the a.m. 2 fuse.

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    eventually all the power was cut off but I press the yellow button on top of the battery located in the rear and everything turned back on.

Can you provide some detail on this? Maybe a photo?

Prius gives me headaches and SFO like this.
  4. Prius gives me headaches

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thank you for this info! I will troubleshoot and diagnose the issue and will update you tomorrow or sometime this week to share my discovery!

5. Prius gives me headaches

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes here is some screen shots from a video I took of what the dash was doing when driving

Attached Files:

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think we were hoping to see a photo of the Yellow button you were pressing,

SFO likes this.
  7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    A battery in Texas with a reset button on the top of it this should be pretty good Love to see it or just know the name brand of the battery you're pushing a yellow button on?

8. Prius gives me headaches

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Attached Files:

9. Prius gives me headaches

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I’m not sure what you’re asking brotha, but I can give you new details. This morning I tried to diagnose it with a obdII scanner, no codes pop up because it doesn’t give me time to scan, the car makes a click once in the rear where the battery is located an all the power turns off. I’m assuming the yellow button/box acts like a breaker and turns everything off. Could it be because of a weak battery?

10. Prius gives me headaches

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I understood your sentence now! So it appears to me that the button was installed by the previous owner, looking at other battery installation videos for Prius’s. None show the box with a yellow button on top.

More details on the Prius, I reconnected the battery after 3 days and the Prius started right up! (One note, the AC was getting warm when I had the first incident of all the lights on the dash lit and then the car would kick itself to neutral then power would shut off) I decided to test drive it after checking all the fuses, I don’t know where the AM 2 fuse is located but I check all the fuses inside the cabin of the car. Car drove fine but the only issues I had was the tpms light was flashing due to me installing new tires and AC got warm over time and I drove it home.

11. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It looks like a manual disconnect for the 12v battery + terminal, and perhaps even includes a resettable breaker/overload. That's awesome. Need more info on that!

Also looks to me like you have a standard Group 51 or 51R 12v battery, based on the battery orientation and the large terminal size. Most likely not an AGM, so something to check and watch out for. If you end up needing to replace it, and want to keep that style battery (large terminals, not JIS size) I'd look at getting an AGM version.

#11 TMR-JWAP, Jul 3, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2023
  12. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes I see the picture that's really cute I know right where that button came from not from a Toyota but where anyway no matter That's very spiffy have you checked your inverter pump just curious?

13. Prius gives me headaches

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I’m guessing the previous owner did the switch on it. If I had more info, I would definitely share with you! I had to change out my old battery for a refurbished one, sadly it was the bigger terminal battery so they guy changed the terminal size and made it work. I’ve always wondered, I should of bought an original one, but they’re close to $300 which is outrageous!

So update on the car, I finally got a code out of the car. I was driving it today, all the lights came on the dash and AC got warm. As soon as I got home, I plugged the scanner and read P0A93. I’m assuming it’s the inverter pump? I would love to hear from ya!

14. Prius gives me headaches

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Where did the switch come from?? And should I delete it or keep it? Also, I replied to the other guy and said that I drove the car today, lights on the dash came on and AC got warm. Plugged the scanner and P0A93 code came on. Inverter pump maybe?

15. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Most times a new inverter pump will fix the P0A93 code. Buy a Toyota OEM pump, there are many case of people buying cheap inverter pumps from Amazon or eBay and having problems with them.

16. Prius gives me headaches

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It looked like it was replaced from previous owner, there was an old inverter pump in the hatch and the box had a “Made in china” stamp and no visible Toyota markings, so what I think happened is it failed due to installing a cheap part like you said and possible failed again. I will buy one from Toyota and will update to see if it fixes the issue!

TMR-JWAP likes this.
  17. SoonerPrinowDasher

SoonerPrinowDasher New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Ja I also have similar problem. Cost a grand to fix at A1 Toyota? As it turns out the pump replaced by the other guy is recycled OEM vs A1 is new or so they claimed? Plus the flush.

I do experienced power loss of dashboard afterward but nothing major, drive away from area and then turn on and off??

18. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Cost a grand to fix at A1 Toyota?

Holy cow!! For real? 1k to replace an inverter cooling water pump?

19. Prius gives me headaches

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Replaced the inverter pump and no issues! That was definitely the issue, thank you prius forums!!! Also, I tried fixing the cluster by adding a bigger capacitor, I took the dashboard apart and it still doesn’t work. It pops up sometimes when I do the light off lights on and pressing the brake method but I would love to have it working at all times. Any recommendations? Also, if I buy a new one from Toyota, will the mileage display a different number or do I have to program it to the car? I seen someone say you had to re-program a new cluster for the Prius if replaced but haven’t seen any other on that topic.

20. Prius gives me headaches

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No way $1k for that work? Wow that’s a hefty price, does it shut off after getting the pump replaced?