1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 2 prius burning engine oil easy fix

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by universeisgr8, Sep 2, 2024 at 10:38 PM.

1. universeisgr8

universeisgr8 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I am here to share my experience with countless prius owners tired of oil burning in gen 2 prius, where many have to fill up a quart every 2-3 months.

i was tired of this problem and after reading many forums, decided to try something. My car was dew for an oil change, so it was the best time.

Took a can of seafoam, poured about 1/4 can in the engine from where you pour oil. Drove about 1000 or more miles (dont remember exactly). Earlier, during idle, i used to get sudden jerks, that problem was fixed by this time. Then poured another 1/4 can of seafoam and drove may be 500 or more miles.

Then changed oil with mobil 1 synthetic. It has been 2 months and the oil dip stick still showing full oil level with no visual loss. Mileage seem to have gone up about 5-7miles/gallon. Right now am getting 54 and have 202K miles on my 07 prius.

The hypothesis is that oil burns because of lose spring tension on the piston which is caused by carbon deposits. Seafoam removes these carbon deposits as well as cleans up the engine. I think the hypothesis has been tested and works perfectly.