1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 2 Prius vexing idle/missing problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by hiljak, Sep 22, 2016.

1. hiljak

hiljak Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a gen 2 Prius with over 180k miles on it. Around 170k, the car started exhibiting a intermittent symptom where when coming to a stop, the ICE would not cleanly shutdown as expected. Instead, it would sputter and seem like it was misfiring for a few seconds prior to shutting down and sometimes shake the vehicle and dash pretty violently (this is not the typical "rough idle" that Prii exhibit sometimes, this sounds like the engine just threw a rod). When this condition was happening, it would also do the same thing as the ICE started back up when you taking off from being stopped, and as the ICE got fully started, the condition went away. No codes for missfire were or other symptoms were displayed after this condition.

At around 180k, the ICE was run out of oil. I had the entire ICE and trans swapped with one from a wrecked car with 75k miles. The swap went well but the intermittent problem detailed above remained with the new engine and trans. I took it back to the guy, he confirmed the issue and tried to resolve it. He has many wrecked Prii so he tried swapping the following to no avail: Another engine/trans, ECU, gas tank (with fuel pump), coil packs, and injectors. The problem remains and is still intermittent. It may happen right when I first start the vehicle or it may run perfectly on a 2 hour drive and then all of a sudden I come to a stop and it exhibits the behavior. I have a hacked techstream setup with an X-horse clone and there are no codes stored.

I have determined that when the behavior happens, if I turn the car off and start it again, it runs as expected but may start doing it again even on that same drive. Turning the car off and restarting right when I notice ithe problem does consistently resolve the problem in the immediate short term and that does not appear to be a random fluke. Another thing I've noticed is that when this behavior is going while I'm coming to a stop, SLAMMING (I mean violently locking up) the brakes stops the ICE cleanly. Also, when it has happened and I've come to a stop and the ICE finally shuts down after it's violent shaking/missing, when I let off the brake, the car kind of "lurches" forward in a continued pulse kind of way if that makes sense. Not sure if it is related.

I'm looking for ideas of where else to go with this. Anyone have any ideas to run down on this?

#1 hiljak, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  2. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  3. hiljak

hiljak Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's who changed the engine and trans and all the subsequent parts. He couldn't figure it out!

4. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Wow. If he couldn't then you are pretty much screwed.

Maybe a partially blocked fuel line? A fuel pump that works sometimes pumping enough fuel, then other times too low of a fuel pressure.

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow Steve did 2 swaps? That's a lot of labor. But he does so many, probably took him 2 hours to do it

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What is the model year of the car: 2009 or some earlier model? Which ECU was swapped?

My suggestion is that you ask your local Toyota dealer to upload the latest firmware to the hybrid vehicle and engine ECUs. That might help. The HV ECU is responsible for controlling when the engine starts and stops and provides direction to MG1 to spin the engine as appropriate to start the engine.

It's not likely that the issue is mechanical in nature since the problem is highly intermittent. Hence there was no point in swapping the engine/transaxle other than demonstrating a good faith effort to maintain customer satisfaction, which is a big plus for Autobeyours.

#6 Patrick Wong, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had this happen to my car and I think it has something to do with the aging of the HV battery. I never worried about it as it did not throw any codes, and here the dealer will not do anything if there are no codes. Kinda the same boat I'm in in trying to diagnose myself. My feeling is the same as Patrick, it is something software related.

In my case, I noticed it only at a stop when transitioning from S3a/b to S4 (see my sig for details of Hybrid Warm up: 5 modes of Prius Operation). Once I became aware of the different stages of hybrid warm up, I worried less and just accepted it as something the Prius does. I also note, that it seems to to transition these days more smoothly. I'd say that in my case it never felt like a rod throwing, just really rough idle and rough cutoff.

I'd just say hakuna matata.

8. hiljak

hiljak Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey guys, sorry I'm just now updating this post. I meant to come back with the solution but got distracted by life! Just in case someone reads this thread later and has the same problem, the issue here was the inverter unit! After this thread was posted, I started driving the car more for work and it started to throw a code DTC P0A63, but the car would still run the same even with that code thrown. This progressed to it later throwing that code, DTC P0A63, but not really wanting to move (just barely moving forward, luckily I was in a parking lot when this happened). Once that happened and I cleared the code, it ran fine and wasn't doing the weird idle thing at all. Took it back to Steve and he knew then that it was the inverter was bad. He swapped it out and it's been fine since. Still on the road today with 220k.

Skibob and davecook89t like this.