1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 2 rear axle bushing tool

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Desert Flier, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Desert Flier

Desert Flier Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Greetings! I've been searching around for info on removing and installing the axle to frame bushings on my 2005 Prius. At 150,000 miles mine are starting to show dry rot. I've seen a few specialized tools for sale but nothing that I could rent. Not sure if a standard bushing press tool that you could rent from an auto parts store would do the job do to the irregular shape of this bushing. Most of the posts seem dated so I'm curious what the heck everyone does when they need to change this bushing. Since I'm already doing the brakes and struts my options in order of preference would be:

1) Rent a tool and press them on the axle while the axle is on the car.
    2) Remove the axle from the car and take it somewhere to have the bushings pressed.
    3) Put everything back together and take it to a shop.

Thanks-Dave

2. Desert Flier

Desert Flier Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I ended up removing the axle and paying $150 in labor to install the rear axle bushings that I had bought. Removing the axle was straightforward. I found some information on the internet on tools specifically for installing these bushings but did not see anything that I could outright purchase. Since these bushings are common amongst a few different Toyota models I would be interested in knowing if anyone ever finds a place to purchase the tool for a reasonable price. Cheers!

3. Desert Flier

Desert Flier Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thats a nice tool. (thats what she said)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You'ld think a wheel bearing jack bolt puller/press would work the same. Same principle any way as the video. Perhaps the capture cups wouldn't work from a wheel bearing press as well.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You can't use wheel bearing puller to remove these types (and many other types) of bushings as the one side of bushing is larger than the lip on the part that bushing is bushed into. That way you can't put the cup in to pull the old pushing into.

Of course the way to get the pushing out without this kind of tool is to break the pushing first. You can either break it enough to use puller or just take it out as peaces. Bearing puller should be able to push the new one in is as long as it can fit through the center of bushing.

M in KC likes this.
  7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Did it make any noticeable difference? Would you do it again on a 15 year old car?

8. Desert Flier

Desert Flier Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's hard to say if the rear axle bushings alone have made a big difference because I replaced all bushings, struts, tie rods, control arms, CV axles, ball joints, etc at the same time. What I can tell you though is that the car rides just incredible now. Very smooth and so much quieter. I was always having rattles and squeaks but they have all disappeared. Aside from the rattles and squeaks the car exhibited fairly decent handling characteristics at 150,000 miles. I'm also an aircraft mechanic so I'm very anal about these things haha. The bushings were dry rotted as often happens in Arizona. I would do it again if I was doing the rear brakes but unless I acquire that tool I may have to rethink about taking on that job as a stand alone item. I took the axle to a very good mechanic friend of mine who had access to multiple bushing tool sets and hydraulic presses and it took him 3 hours to get the job done. It was a deal for $150. You could do it in ten minutes a side with the correct tool though.

fotomoto likes this.
  9. Desert Flier

Desert Flier Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    f3897c370d8543719298baeb2bf8faf0_490.jpg f3897c370d8543719298baeb2bf8faf0_490.jpg
    This is true. The shape of the bushing is not traditional as most are used to.

M in KC likes this.
  10. Desert Flier

Desert Flier Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    f3897c370d8543719298baeb2bf8faf0_490.jpg

11. Desert Flier

Desert Flier Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are some videos there on youtube doing just that. It's a PIA and my worry is getting the new one reinstalled.

12. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yes it's not easy to remove by breaking. But depending on what is attached to and type of bushing you can use different methods like burning it, cutting it, air hammer etc.

If you check your installation tool against the new bushing and flange of part that new bushing is installed into carefully and new part is correct there should be no problem installing it.