1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

gen 3 2010 prius 4--blind spot any worse than other cars?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by wpease, Sep 20, 2009.

1. wpease

wpease Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

there were some posts on blind spots for Gen II but several spoke of a way to set the 3 mirrors so it could be avoided. Another thread mentioned that blind spots on the Prius (about 14 ft for a 5ft person) were actually lower than for other similar cars.

Question--any new tips on mirror setting and handling the split horizon rear window on the Gen 111 prius? Is it just a question of learning the geometry on this car to get beyond this?
    Am going to be getting a Prius and feel nervous at the idea of driving it but I will need to get around!
    and I dont think i will attempt to master all the fine details at once, just the basics--as in basic defensive driving.
    thanks much
    W.

2. bluemonday

bluemonday New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can look in the "Prius blind spot accident" thread near this one in the forum, which includes some tips from people for setting your mirrors. But I don't think there is any particular trick to it compared to other cars. I don't find the blind spots to be any better or worse than any other car I've ever driven.
    Not scientific, but one man's subjective opinion.

3. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Agree completely.

4. Dirk Lerxst

Dirk Lerxst New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's definitely not worse than other vehicles. I'm used to trucks and SUVs with absolutely terrible blind spots. The Prius didn't seem particularly bad when I test-drove it a few weeks back. Just remember to give a good glance over your shoulder before changing lanes, and/or do like I suggest in the "blind spot accident" thread and get adjustable convex blind spot mirrors.

5. anniea

anniea New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I agree too. It was a bit challenging at first to get used to the rear view being cut in half by the spoiler, and also by the somewhat narrow width of the rear window, compared with my previous car. But since getting used to it, I've come to believe that the actual "blind spot" is not a greater issue than with most other cars--it's taken care of via mirror adjustment and looking over the shoulder, same as with other cars. The only difference is that you have to be alert that the spoiler may be partially obliterating headlights of a vehicle that's directly behind you. But I have gotten used to that, and I just check carefully.

For several years I drove a '99 Odyssey. That van really did have an unexpected blind spot, and several times both my husband and I were amazed when a driver we never saw honked as we started a lane change. Others found this as well. This is not an issue with our Prius.

6. tiztim

tiztim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's not a question of the geometry of the car but the solution consists of two items found in most auto-parts shops:
    1) a small convex mirror affixed to the lower left corner of the driver's-side mirror.
    This shows a quarter-portion in a panorama, showing all traffic in lanes behind and to your left. I've used this for years and have added another to every new car I get. This little stick-on mirror is sort of the equivalent "objects in mirror are closer..." in effect.
    It's what you need. $3
    2) Backing up my new Prius was a new problem: the design of the body and placement of the lower back half-window gave me no reference to judge my distance from whatever I was backing up toward.
    Solution was a plastic fresnel lens I put in the middle of the lower rear window. This 8x10 sheet gave me nearly a 180º view behind me and what's right up near my bumper. Really an amazing effect. $10

These two items have completely eliminated blind spots to my sides and behind me. I have always to be aware the front pillar at the windshield can hide an object behind.

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It is hard to see a blind spot but the effect is the occasional 'honk' from a lane change into another car or the surprise of "where did you come from?" I've been thinking about building a side-to-side, rear view mirror that uses the visor anchor points.

Personally, I think it is a correctable problem and was not aware of the after-market, convex mirrors. I'll stop by Autozone this morning to see if they have any of the suggested after-market solutions.

Bob Wilson

8. tiztim

tiztim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I put pics up for this: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-main-forum/68816-anybody-else-having-problem-3.html

9. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't find the "blind spots" as referred here to be much different than any other car I have owned. I think each car is unique to them and you have to "learn" the car somewhat and then your cognizant of them. I have learned to adjust my mirrors in all cars to look at the farther distance (side view) not close to the body as was once taught to me...that helps, but I actually can see more out of the back than in my sedan vehicle which I traded. SO... more of a learning curve with each vehicle we drive.

10. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't have blind spots, but it takes some getting used to the split view in the back with the spoiler. Fortunately it's a thin blockage of the view.

If you lean to the left with your head close to your window and set your left mirror so that you just barely catch your car, then put your elbow on the console and adjust your right mirror so you just barely see your car you will notice as you sit straight that as a car or person moves behind you (or as you pass or they approach) the image will move along from the outside mirror, across to the rear view and then to the opposite side with overlap. This takes some getting used to because I believe 90% of the people usually have their mirror adjusted so that half of the view is nothing more than the side of your car, which you don't really need to view while driving.

1 person likes this.