1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 3 brakes, need shims & fitment kits?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by kehyler, Apr 12, 2020.

1. kehyler

kehyler Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi All,

I am going to be doing brakes on my Gen 3 Prius soon. I was thinking that the following parts might be reusable if in serviceable condition, so I'm interested in hearing from people who have taken theirs apart. Are the shims (between the pad & piston) and the fitment brackets (that the pads glide in) usually in decent enough condition that they can be reused?

(Also, if I need them, would anyone happen to know if the kits below need quantity 2x or 1x?)

Thanks,

-kehyler

Front "anti-rattle" kit
    Disc Brake Anti-Rattle Clip Set - Toyota (04947-42050) | Toyota Parts

Front shims
    Disc Brake Pad Shim Kit - Toyota (04945-47020) | Toyota Parts

Rear "anti-rattle" kit
    Brake Pads Hardware Kit - Toyota (04948-47010) | Toyota Parts

Rear shims
    Brake Pads Hardware Kit - Toyota (04946-47070) | Toyota Parts

2. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This shims and fit kits (bracket clips) are reusable in areas that do not see snow or road salt. We usually bend the ears of the shims very gently (to make them fit better) and apply some Molykote M77 or CRC brake caliper grease to the shims before install.

The fit kits (bracket clips), at least out here, are reusable after a cleaning with a small wired toothbrush. It is best to not remove them from the bracket if there are no rust issues in your area.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The fitting kits are typically the only parts I've needed to replace on mine (Indiana, uses salt).

Shims, pads, rotors, everything else last practically forever with regular inspection.

The fitting kits are very slippery from the factory, with a dry coating, sort of like teflon.

If that's worn off but the metal is still shiny and smooth, they're more or less ok.

If they have rusted rough enough that the pad ears don't slide in them super easily, time for new ones. They're cheap.

No grease there; just attracts grit.

The Critic likes this.
  4. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have found that some shims will separate after a while. Usually by the 3rd brake job, you will find the Teflon layer on the shims start to peel off.

Grease on the fit kit is subjective. A lot of people do it and use way too much. If I add any grease, I add a faint film to the ears of the pads only.

But some OEM’s, such as Subaru, want the entire clip to be greased. In those situations, I just use a disposable HF paint brush and paint the thinnest layer possible.
    60507077442__01339BB6-2A6A-47B3-9394-3A84877D207F.JPG IMG_2777.PNG
    IMG_2767.JPG

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I suppose the difference might be Toyota doing the dry Teflon thing instead?

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I like to apply the anti-seize sparingly to the smaller of the two components that'll be in contact, gets it just in the contact zone. You'll still get a slight amount of "squeeze out" around the perimeter.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't mean to pick on anyone else's preferences, I just try on PriusChat to describe what Toyota recommends, unless I say I'm making a different recommendation and I say why. Because PriusChat readers have a right to know that.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. kehyler

kehyler Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks all.

Would anyone happen to know if the kits below need quantity 2x or 1x? I'm not sure if the kits supply both sides (as the pads do) or one side (as the rotors do).

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Pretty sure a shim kit and a fitting kit is both sides.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    One kit per axle.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    'Axle' being 'pair of wheels at the same distance from the front of the car', despite the front 'axle' being two shafts, and the rear 'axle' being an H-shaped stamping with stubby hubs on two ends. :)

2012 Prius v wagon 3 likes this.