1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 3: Loud Noise at start up/ No Oil?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by AdviceAppreciated, May 6, 2020.

Tags:
  1. AdviceAppreciated

AdviceAppreciated New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    2012 Prius 3: Horrible Sound at Start Up, Dipstick Dry. ONLY Dash Light this week was Tire Pressure - Should I Add OIL or get it towed? Oil change is due in 1000 miles. Any Honest Prius mechanics near Oceanside CA?

137K miles original engine/hybrid system purchased as Certified Toyota at 60K, maintained at dealer with full synthetic. Love my car, afraid I may have broken it.

CoVid19 has dropped driving from approx 1200mi/mo to about 40 miles since 3/6/20. Noticed low tire pressure in Feb, aired up front driver tire, it went away. Then drove again twice last weekend noticed it again, didn't fill with air only drove 8 miles, then yesterday planned a grocery and gas station run for air, turned on car and within 2-3 seconds I heard an extremely LOUD noise from under hood sorta like clunkityclunk maybe even a high pitched whine (scrared me so bad I can't recall and I forgot to look at dash for any warning lights), I immediately turned off the engine, popped the hood, checked oil, dipstick was showing a little dirty oil smeared and a drop at end, but not much, i cleaned, re-dipped, and it was dry. No leaks under my car are evident, no smoke or smell was evident. I purchased a 5qt container of 0-20W synthetic but before I pour it in, I want to know if 2-5 seconds of that noise (engine running without oil) could ruin my engine? Should I fill with oil and try to turn it over? Would it be safe to drive? Should I tow it? If so, to whom?

Background:
    Newbie to ask for Prius Chat advice, but often find great tips in past. I scoured the threads hoping to find insights, but I need personal advice today. Please be kind. I have tried to maintain my vehicle to the best of my financial ability. Pro Oil changes at dealer for 90% of oil changes since 2016 at Owners Manual intervals of 10K until it hit about 95K, then averaged closer to 5k intervals because oil consumption seemed to increase (lower dipstick levels at oil changes) Approx 120K miles I was told by Warranty Srvc & Dealer that "burning" (not leaking) 1 qt of oil every 1k-1500 mi was "acceptable" for age of my vehicle. I started to check my oil approx 1/mo and would find I was putting 1-3 qts in between each oil change depending on how many miles/heavy driving I did. I have never seen or smelled oil burning.

I'm on limited income, so I must be thrifty and wise with every penny.

Pluggo and bisco like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    fill her with oil and give it a shot. i think you'll be fine.

let us know how much oil gets it to full. the loud noise is usually unburned hydrocarbons in the manifold.
    you definitely need an egr circuit cleaning before you blow the head gasket.

9,000 miles since your last oil change?

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    All things considered, if it is knackered, the smart money might be to sell it and move on. The fix might involved swapping in a new "short block" which is basically everything below the head gasket, and sending the head to a machine shop. In rough numbers:

1. Mechanic to do the swap: at least 10 hours, say at least $1000, more likely close to $2000
    2. New short block: around $2000
    3. Machine shop refurb of the cylinder head: $500~1000?
    4. Toyota gasket kit: $200~

If you use it as a trade-in, knackered, they'll likely give you about $500.

AdviceAppreciated likes this.
  4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    A person in that situation should be checking his oil level OFTEN.

At this point, a few quarts of oil are fairly cheap; add one and check the level.
    Once you get it up between the marks again, it might run better.
    Might not too.

I did not read all of your post because the fine details aren't really important.
    Good luck.

Montgomery and AdviceAppreciated like this.
  5. AdviceAppreciated

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you for your quick responses. I will try filling oil tomorrow morning if that is the consensus. Last Oil Change was approx 3700 mi ago, and I have checked fairly regularly and have put 2 qts in during the interim. I plan on getting the oil changed as soon as a chk arrives. I looked up EGR and generic quotes are $500-800, much cheaper than switching out the block or buying a new car as suggested. I was just afraid to turn in back on, so I am grateful that there may be hope :)

davecook89t and Pluggo like this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Watch @NutzAboutBolts videos to see what involved in EGR cleaning. There's a thread at the top of this forum with links to most of his Prius videos. #17 is the full EGR cleaning, and he references a few of the other videos that tie in. Also of interest: the intake manifold cleaning and throttle body cleaning. Maybe oil catch can as well.

All the the cleaning can be done (DIY) for basically zero. The EGR valve and cooler cost about $250 apiece to replace, maybe about the same for the intake manifold. But all are cleanable. The toughest is the EGR cooler: it can get badly clogged, but with certain chemical and/or a pressure washer, it can be cleaned.

With your miles EGR cleaning is due, but still, the oil consumption is worrisome. If you don't mind adding a quart of oil every other week, it'll go a while, but regardless of what the dealership says, that is not situation normal. The heavy oil burning can be clog the Catalytic Converter. The (aforementioned) cost to remedy will surpass the car's worth, food for thought.

#6 Mendel Leisk, May 7, 2020
    Last edited: May 7, 2020
  7. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Recommending the pressure washer these days:).

You just be listening or the selective hearing is letting more in:p.

Still the best tool for cleaning the egr cooler(y).

AdviceAppreciated likes this.
  8. AdviceAppreciated

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the encouragement!

I put in 2 qts of 0-20w Synthetic Oil, it showed up as 2/3 up between Low and MAX oil indention's on dipstick, closed it up crossed fingers, and she turned over like nothing had ever happened! Yay!

I made the mistake of not letting it run for more than a minute before shutting it off (awhile back I learned on PriusChat that this is not a good idea because it can create a rough start the next time it turns over) after a minute or so I restarted the engine, waited for engine to turn over and heard it shimmy mildly for about 2-3 seconds then smoothed out and sounded normal (NOT the same level of clunkity sound and shimmy intensity that I experienced 2 days ago). I turned off again after a few minutes, checked the oil, it leveled out at 2/3 to the MAX fill indention. Started again 3rd time, no shimmy, drove around the block about 5 minutes gradually getting up to 40mph, then checked dipstick again when I parked. Same levels, NO strange noises! Thank goodness!

I wonder if the super loud noise could have had anything to do with car sitting for a week/being driven so little? but, just glad it is gone (for now) will keep eye on everything much closer. And will save up for some of those cleaning/maintenance/repairs suggested (Unfortunately I am not a DIY'er for big things, I can replace bulbs and tires but leave it to more mechanically inclined to do anything that requires taking internal stuff apart;)

ANYONE know of a honest good mechanic near Oceanside, CA?

grantb3 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'll pretend I didn't hear that. :rolleyes:

#9 Mendel Leisk, May 7, 2020
    Last edited: May 7, 2020
    Raytheeagle likes this.