1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 3 low miles or gen 4 high miles

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Prij1, Apr 3, 2024.

1. Prij1

Prij1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I want to spend roughly $15k or a little more on a Prius. It looks like that could get me a 2012-2015 gen 3 with 60k to 80k miles.

My wife doesn’t like the gen 4 until the 2019-2022 models with the taillights that don’t drip down. But at my price range the cars would have about 100k+ miles.

Which would you opt for in terms of long term cost? It’s basically older model with fewer miles vs. newer model with more miles. We’ll likely hold onto it for awhile. Mostly for daily commuting. Thank you

2. Danno5060

Danno5060 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I've got a Gen 2, a Gen 3, and a new to me Gen 4 Prime.

Gen 3's are usually really basic. The electronic features on the Gen 4s are, to me, next generation. They also don't have the issues with the EGR, piston rings, head gaskets...

The looks of the tail lights, the color, those are the last things on the things I looked for. Look at the Carfax reports, and track how many miles before the first oil change, then how many miles between oil changes. Toyota went to 10K miles between, and there were a lot of the cars I looked at that did the bare minimum. Look at where the cars came from - stay away from the rust belt.

Some of the Gen 4s are Primes - which have a different look from the rear. Maybe that's what your wife is talking about too.

3. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I would go high miles Gen 4. The prime rear end has the "glass moustache" look that a lot of people dislike. I would buy the newest model you can.A lot of times the high miles newer cars have easy highway miles....as long as oil changes were regular.....I would go that route

Khezekiah and Danno5060 like this.
  4. bbrages

bbrages Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Newer car with high miles will probably have more battery lifespan left, too.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    can you estimate how many years and miles you'll want to keep it?

gen 3 likely going to need egr circuit cleaned and maintained, gen 4 should be good for another 50-100k.

for local commuting, you're likely not going to save on gas and maybe better off with a small non hybrid for service purposes

6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If you plan to hold it for a while, start with the youngest one you can afford.

7. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Get the turd gen. Join the egr cleaning and engine knocking clubs, we re always accepting new members.

Khezekiah and Kromis like this.