1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 3 Malfunctioning passenger seat airbag mechanism

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by eliotb, Oct 20, 2023.

1. eliotb

eliotb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Greetings. I haven’t posted here in years but have encountered an issue I need to sort out on a Gen 3 Prius Five passenger airbag system. For background, my disabled wife is 5’ tall but medical treatments have left her at 265 pounds. She uses a Toyota seatbelt extender. I am 5’ 9” and 190 lbs.

1. When I test the system by sitting in the front passenger seat, the “front airbag on” light will illuminate whether I use the extender or just insert the seatbelt into the buckle.

2: But if my heavier wife uses the extender, the light says “passenger airbag off.” I doubt she could get the regular seatbelt around herself.

So, I know the extender will trigger the “on” mechanism … for me, but not for her. And I know the “off/on” light works for me with the regular belt inserted.

Why is the airbag not showing as being “on” when she uses the extender?

Any clues Prius pals?

Eliot
    NoVa

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If someone has access to a laptop with Techstream, or some other suitable scan tool, it could be of interest to see what the Occupant Classification System has classified her as.

The OCS makes its classifications based on weight and how that weight is distributed among the sensors at the four corners of the seat. Is there anything about the way she positions herself in the seat that could lead to an unusual distribution of weight, compared to when you sit there?

PriusCamper likes this.
  3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I wouldn't think just the belt extender would have really anything to do with this That's just a buckle and another clasp to make things longer larger. Plopping down in that seat should activate everything that needs to be activated. In my car I cut out two seat belt ends the metal part they're plugged into my seat belt buckles the thing with the red button all the time so when I sit in the car I don't have to buckle my seat belt I do delivery work sometimes service work too so sometimes when a friend gets in the car and he whips the seat belt around the plug it in there's a metal thing already in the seat belt he has to unplug that and lay it on the floor so he can plug his seat belt up to be legal if that's what he desires that just keeps the lights from flashing and buzzing and noise but that's nothing to do with anything being in the seat I don't think.

4. eliotb

eliotb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I don't think there's anything unusual about how she sits in the seat. It does occur to me that perhaps because her stomach is unusually close to the dash that -- if she could stand it and be able to maneuver in and out of the car -- I could try shifting the seat backwards a notch or two to see what happens.

I talked about this with the indy shop that does basic maintenance for me and I'm going to make note of the software/scan tool to see if maybe they can spot something out of the ordinary. Thanks for mentioning that diagnostic. I'd like to avoid the dealer if I can as they'll try to sell me anything and everything associated with the occupant restraint system!

Eliot

5. eliotb

eliotb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I don't think there's anything unusual about how she sits in the seat. It does occur to me that perhaps because her stomach is unusually close to the dash that -- if she could stand it and be able to maneuver in and out of the car -- I could try shifting the seat backwards a notch or two to see what happens.

I talked about this with the indy shop that does basic maintenance for me and I'm going to make note of the software/scan tool to see if maybe they can spot something out of the ordinary. Thanks for mentioning that diagnostic. I'd like to avoid the dealer if I can as they'll try to sell me anything and everything associated with the occupant restraint system! It may be interesting trying to see what the software says without taking my wife up to the station to sit in the seat while the tech plugs in to the OBD. She abhors leaving the house, has trouble breathing outside and doesn't like people seeing the shape she's in.

But, we can at least see if the diagnostic tool offers any guidance. Again, thanks.

Eliot

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A scan tool for your own use might help with the leaving-the-house issue.

eliotb likes this.
  7. eliotb

eliotb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Just a quick update to semi-close the loop. Before leaving a medical appointment with my wife last week I pushed the passenger seat all the way back (it had only one position remaining before hitting full stop). The “passenger airbag ON” light it up when she clicked the belt and stayed on for the 12-15 minute run back home.

I won’t declare this solved until we make a return visit to this doctor in two days. If the system operates properly, I’m inclined to figure it can sense how close her, ahem, extended abdomen is to the dash and takes that into account when making the “on/off” decision.

And, yes, I think a scan tool that can handle the basics for Prius and older Jags is in my future, assuming there is such a creature!

I’ll report back after Thursday, but I thank everyone who has chimed in so far.

8. eliotb

eliotb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    All now seems well. I made the second medical visit with the seat shoved all the way back. The "seatbelt ON" light illuminated as it should. The car passed our state inspection a few days ago and I was assured at about 88K I still had plenty of rear brakes left. Yippee!

ASRDogman likes this.