1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

gen 3 oil changes: jiffy lube etc...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by deltron3030, Dec 29, 2010.

1. deltron3030

deltron3030 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does anyone have any success stories with gen3 oil changes at non-toyota service places? $70 bucks is just a bit more than I really want to spend for an pil change and I unfortunately don't have the time nor tools to diy.

2. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I wouldn't chance it. For my last few oil/filter services, I've paid $45 ($30 coupon/web special + $15 premium for synthetic). Check the websites of a few of your local dealers and you'll likely find similar specials. Can't imagine Jiffy Lube would be much cheaper.

Years ago, I decided to cheap out and went to Jiffy Lube (on a BMW, where the dealer charged $125+ so the potential savings was pretty significant), and they damaged the oil filter mount. Never again.

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK...so you're in Lakewood, CA.
    The Jiffy-Lube there has probably already seen their first Prius---if you're talking about the real "Jiffy-Lube"...and not some knock-off run by Joey Bagodoughnuts, who employs folks on the work release program from the local correctional institution. If you go to Joey's you may want to check for any valuables, or PII (Personal Identifying Information), spare house keys, etc...especially if you're younger than 65 and 'reasonably' attractive.
    If it's a for-real "oil-change emporium"...
    You'll want to check on a few other things. Make sure they have the right oil for the Prius, instead of filling it with the bulk oil that they have in the hose labeled "Gen-U-ine Castrol".
    You'll want to also make sure that they have your (canister type) oil filter in stock. I've never been wild about these filters, since they're not substantially cheaper (for the consummer) than the regular old can type. This isn't a Toyota bash----I hated them when I worked on Saturns too.
    You're going to want to ensure that in the event that they (try to) replace the o-ring, that you're lot leaking oil out of the filter housing when they get done, and while you're looking for leaks, you can ensure that they didn't round off the corners on the housing by using the wrong sized wrench to take it off.
    Finally, you're going to want to look under the car to ensure that they replaced the plastic bottom assembly correctly, and that they didn't break any of the plastic tabs when they were trying to figure out how to get to your filter and drain plug.
    Also, get ready to be told that your air filter had to be changed because it was clogged, and get ready to laugh at them when they tell you that they topped off the fluid in your power steering pump.

Other than that....sure.
    I guess you could take it there. Please let your fellow forum members know if they up-charged you for the Prius and by how much.

Good Luck!!!
    (you may need it....) :D

4. RufusNapkin

RufusNapkin New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If Jiffy Lube charges around $30 for a regular oil change every 3,000 miles and the dealer $70 for every 10,000 miles, with the dealer you are saving $30. Or it's about the same...

Posting is fun.

5. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    And the dealers will use the correct rated oil and you get a dealer stamp in your service book.

Go elsewhere and you take your chances.

6. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Geez, come on; I go to Walmart. Did you hear me? WALMART!

I buy the 0W/30 synthetic oil (and a filter) off their auto department shelf, take it to their auto service department and they put it in, plus a filter. I've never had any problems. I save a few bucks, plus I have assurance it's done correctly. What's the worse that happen; blow the engine? Probably not!

Happy Motoring,

Tom

7. deltron3030

deltron3030 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    K, so I take it no ones had any success stories takin their gen 3 to an non Toyota service center for an oil change? If you have, I'd like to hear about it...if you haven't, not so much.

8. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wally-world isn't a bad place to go for a oil change, especially if you supply the oil, they have the filter, and they're familiar with how to do the procedure.
    Jiffy-Lube is OK too.

I'm just saying that there might be some things you'll want to check for in case the oil change is done by somebody who does not do them regularly on Priuses, or for that matter if the service is done BY the dealer.
    I've grown to be pretty competent in basic motorcycle maintenance because of the fact that there are a lot of factory certified wrenches out there that screw the pooch when it comes to oil changes, brake maintenance, belt adjustments, etc.
    You think Priuses are expensive to take to the dealer? Ha! Try a Kawasaki or a Harley!
    The average 3,000 mile maintenance for a motorcycle (which is usually just oil, filter, and about 30 checks for adjustments that do not need to be made) is between $100 and $250.

FWIW.....you're right about one thing. If they put the wrong oil in, 'forget' to replace the filter, or round off the corners on the filter housing, you're probably never going to know about it, and it probably will not hurt your engine much.

9. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    USA dealers are hit and miss. My RAV4 was overfilled almost every time and once wrong oil was used (5W20 instead of 5W30). However, to me the Toyota stamp is more important than hassle with Toyota not honoring warranty if one has not enough proof of DIY or third party oil changes.

10. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    To the OP, don't you have the Toyota two yr/25k mile free maintenance program? Or are you doing an additional oil change?

11. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Did you read my reply? I have a lot of success at Walmart and for less than $70!

Happy Motoring

Tom

12. deltron3030

deltron3030 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Tom! Yes thanks for that tip...I'll definitely check that out.

Also I got my prius during cash for clunkers so no free 25k maintenance

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The dealership service department, vs DIY, is a concern for me with every purchase we've made over the years:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...hooting/87120-doing-your-own-maintenance.html

There is something wrong with the picture when mechanically competent owners are caving into to dealership service due to warranty scares, and subsequently hassling with dealership, due to overcharging (vague "shop charges"), overfilling (rounding up to next quart/liter, especially with oil changes), overselling (unnecessary services) and excessive wear-and-tear (mechanics losing/chewing up fasteners, scratching your alloys, etc). And just the general BS items: deflating your tires to spec., for example.

Addendum:

I can see the dealership's perspective too: as soon as the owner starts taking over maintenance he drops off their radar. Was the maintenance done? Completely? How to prove/verify? And were there service bulletins that the dealership would have checked, had the car come in?

For a while our local Honda dealership hosted a drop-in evening for owners, where some mechanics attended, explained maintenance basics. Take that further? Maybe there could be a DIY certification program? And certified owners would be able to enter data into ClubToyota maintenance records?

14. deunan

deunan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    dealer I went is really good and only charge $75. But I was in a hurry and stopped by Oil Can Henry's and guess how much they charged??? $115. Should I post receipt? I was like Wth??? they charge $70 just for the mobil 0w20 LOL and my dealer use KN oil filter that was like $1 extra. Service is very good but the price..... I will be going back to the dealer and save $40 since I can't change it myself :(

and I'm getting like 44mpg in winter which is about 10mpg drop from summer.