1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 3 owner in South Florida

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Michael Mathis, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Michael Mathis

Michael Mathis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Greetings,

I'm doing the sociable thing and serving up a brief hello ....

I'm Mike, 66-year old, semi-retired owner of a 2013 Prius Two in Ocean Blue.

My baby has 83,800 miles and I keep it garaged in showroom condition. Don't really use it much as I ride a big 2016 Suzuki Burgman 650 scooter. The bike covers all my errands, grocery runs, shopping, visits to see the grandkids, etc.

I use the Prius when it rains and during summer days when the temp is always 90 degrees and humid. Most days, I start the car and let it cycle through the gas engine warming up, then shut it down. I know machines like to be run regularly.

My previous car was a dark green 1991 Toyota 4Runner that I loved. Body was pristine (Florida car) and it had just over 100k miles. It felt like I sat in the driver's seat and they built the car around me. Unfortunately, it eventually needed head gaskets that would have come with a repair bill of around $8k, according to the dealer.

I bought the Prius and have never looked back. I lost the big, comfy truck ride but gained a smart, efficient car that hasn't given me an ounce of trouble since I bought it from a dealership in 2016 with 49k miles (for $10k out the door, including tax, tag and title ... one of the best vehicle deals I've ever made).

I'm from Rochester, New York ... been in South Florida since 2014 .... graduated from Ball State University in Muncie, Indiana ... and glad to be here.

Mike

don K otay and bisco like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hi mike, welcome to priuschat.

you are at the perfect mileage to take a hard look at the egr circuit before your head gasket blows.

all the best! (y)

3. Michael Mathis

Michael Mathis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    "You are at the perfect mileage to take a hard look at the egr circuit"

Thanks. My next project is a coolant change, so I'll clean the EGR pipe and cooler as well as the throttle body at the same time. That way I don't have to pinch off coolant hoses; I'll just let them drain.