1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 3 Prius depreciation

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by ozboy, Jul 17, 2009.

1. ozboy

ozboy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well the Australian version of the Prius finally has its own full website, so the car must be days away from the dealers, if not already here.
    I was incredibly surprised to see how well the Gen 2 Prius holds its value in the USA - that is mainly due to how cheap it is sold there.
    The forecast is for very good resale value on the Gen 3 Prius in the US (again the sell price is very low).

Does anyone have feedback on resale/depreciation in Australia for both the Gen 2 & the estimation for Gen 3?

I am planning on buying the i-Tech version, which I know will depreciate at a greater rate than the base model.
    The i-Tech is 53,500 plus on road costs (which is about US$40K + on road costs)

2. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Wow. Is the $40K due to taxes? My V w/Nav in the states was $30K. I would expect depreciation to match up with the residuals for leasing. The 2 year residual on mine is around $20K. After that it dropped less than $2K per year

3. ozboy

ozboy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nah, we only have 10% Goods & Services Tax, so tax free it would be about $36K. Like I said, you are geting it very cheap in the States compared to other countries. The benefits of a 300m population (pity about your plummeting house prices - ours will be up another 10% this year :p )

4. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That's not everywhere although you wouldn't know it from the news. The WAAAAY overpriced housing has dropped alot. It needed to. Then everything else is just snowballing out of control.