1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 3 Prius Spark Plugs superceded with hotter plugs

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by DTKim, Aug 9, 2016.

1. DTKim

DTKim Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    So this threw everyone I talked to off, including the dealer parts department. Nothing on Google search or on Priuschat about this either... If anyone is finding that they got the wrong plugs for their Gen 3 Prius (2ZRFXE) from the dealer, it looks like Toyota decided to go with hotter plugs moving forward. Maybe to reduce any chance of fouling/misfires (that may cause rough starts, etc.), especially since the Prius generally stays at low RPMs and doesn't run as hot as regular ICE engines? I suppose it may make sense as each heat range step is roughly 75-100 degreed Celsius. 16 to 20 is one step for Denso.

BTW, hotter plugs didn't help in my situation as the car still stumbles on some cold (and warm) starts and I've already changed the EGR, cleaned the intake manifold (including EGR ports), throttle body, and checked the (recently changed) spark plug condition of the misfiring cylinder (soot on bottom part of the ceramic, while others were completely clean).

Original Toyota and Corresponding Denso Part Number (stamped on plug): 90919-01253 - SC20HR11
    New Toyota and Corresponding Denso Part Number (stamped on plug): 9019-01275 - SC16HR11
    (Confirmed at Dealer Parts department that the number was superceded and the bulk box itself shows the new Toyota AND Denso number on the same label, so no mistake of a mis-pick). The irony was that the old part number only had ONE in stock, which is odd for a common maintenance/repair item.

This is extremely odd considering all of the aftermarket plugs (NGK/Bosch/etc.) have heat classes that are equal to Denso's "20" or slightly COLDER than that. Coincidentally, the 2004-2009 Prius (1NZFXE) specs are for the 16 heat class as well: SK16R11.

Reference as of April 2014: http://www.toyota.com/toyota-owners-online-theme/pdf/09_SparkPlugs2014_final.pdf

I'm curious if anyone got the new hotter plugs and noticed any difference? Note if it was to repair bad plugs or regular maintenance as that's important to know when comparing any differences.

Hope this helps someone as I spent a good number of hours researching and confirming this.

anonymous, Fostel, whburling and 4 others like this.
  2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I think you are misreading your chart:
    2004 to 2009 and C - SK16R11 in a 1.5 liter engine
    2010 to 2015, PHV, and V - SC20HR11 in a 1.8 liter engine

Did I miss you giving a newer link to a new recommendation?

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Rowrbazzle. I just, like, two days ago, bought a box of SC20HR11, which I haven't put in yet.

I notice the PDF you attached shows the older spec (still 90919-01253, SC20HR11, for the 2010- Prius). Did the dealer show you any document actually announcing the revision? Or did they at least give you the date? Somebody logged into techinfo could probably find the document then.

When I look up plugs for my car at Village Toyota, I still see the original numbers shown (as of today, anyway ... I suppose later on if they update the catalog, that link will show the newer numbers, and future PriusChat readers will see this post and think I couldn't read).

-Chap

4. DTKim

DTKim Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    This was verified by the dealer's computer system by pulling the VIN AND generically for a 2010 Prius. It shows the original part number, but also shows the superceded with a note that the new part number to be used moving forward. If you look online, you will find many references to 90919-01253 being obsolete and superceded with 90919-01275, which I was okay with as it happens all the time. What I was surprised about was the different heat ranges specified.

The PDF is the latest I could find online, which was in 2014. Couldn't find an updated one. I think this change was sometime in 2016, likely within the last few months. Dealer couldn't find a TSB or any other reference to it and thought it was odd as well. They have been installing the new plugs, but no one knew it changed so they don't know how long they have been installing the new ones.

Here's a link showing a dealer's online catalog with the supercede details. Same commerce engine many other dealers use so it's the same details elsewhere, but obviously different than your link, which uses a different engine. Your dealer's website doesn't even have the new part number (Toyota or Denso) listed at all. Funny how the new part number says it replaces the old, but I can't find a listing for an old part number that references the new one. Guess they want to clear out old stock before people notice.

SPARK PLUG | Genuine Toyota | 90919-01275

The only weird part is other 3rd party sites are confusing matters by posting the old Denso part number with the new Toyota part number. That is why I thought something was wrong. My trip to the dealer today has cleared my mind and at least can be at peace knowing that Toyota did in fact mean to put in hotter plugs. My only question now is if anyone has experienced any issues (in this short amount of time) with the hotter plugs. I'm not a hypermiler and, being in New Jersey, need to floor it to get on some highways so I'm concerned these hotter plugs may in fact be too hot. It's already a narrow range between fouling and pre-detonation (450 to 850 degrees Celsius). The thermal reserve, if there was any before, was either reduced or completely eliminated with the 100 degree jump in heat class.

#4 DTKim, Aug 9, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
    Robert Holt likes this.
  5. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Had 2-stroke engines that absolutely required the correct heat range to avoid fouling or detonation, and had engines quit both ways, so I share your concern. For those of us driving consistently slowly, the hotter plugs should be fine, but full throttle use could surely cause detonation, which typically leads to quick and final engine destruction. BUT, hopefully the Prius Gen 3 has an anti-knock sensor that would either change the timing or enrich the mixture to avoid serious damage?? I have only heard my Prius valves pinging once (possible low-octane fuel, not sure), but my impression was that the ICE adapted to remove the pinging before it became detonation. Have others experienced that?

But if Prius is prone to carbon fouling, I would expect gradual carbon accumulation in the combustion chamber and on top of the piston. Has anyone noticed this? Should we shift to higher octane fuel at higher mileages?

6. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i found one: 90919-01253 - Genuine Toyota PLUG, SPARK

Part No. 90919-01253
    Part Description PLUG, SPARK
    Replaced By 90919-01275

this is not just for prius, but for all the 1.8L engine applications:

Part Fitment
    Make Model Year Trim Engine Important vehicle option details
    ToyotaCorolla2009-2016CE, ECO, ECOSW, LE, S, STD4 Cyl 1.8L2ZRFAE, 2ZRFE; ZRE142, ZRE172
    ScioniQ2012-20144 Cyl 1.3L1NRFE; NGJ10
    ToyotaMatrix2009-20144 Cyl 1.8L2ZRFE; ZRE142
    ToyotaPrius2010-2015E, G, L, S4 Cyl 1.8L2ZRFXE; ZVW30, ZVW35
    ToyotaPrius V2012-20164 Cyl 1.8L2ZRFXE; ZVW41
    ScionxD2008-20144 Cyl 1.8L2ZRFE; ZSP110

On the other hand, lexus CT 200H owner's manual lists both as acceptable: Lexus CT 200H 2016 Owner's Manual (Page 576 of 632)

confusing, but probably streamlining their supply.

i'm still waiting for denso's TT superplug for prius. this is a big advancement over a regular long life iridium.

#6 Former Member 68813, Aug 9, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
    Robert Holt likes this.
  7. DTKim

DTKim Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That's one of the 3rd party sites that still lists the new Toyota part number being the old Denso number (when you look up the new Toyota part number:

90919-01275 - Toyota Parts Deal

That's what caused my confusion and angst! It made it look like a regular part number update from Toyota, but there's a material difference in the specifications of the plug.

As for the carbon on the top of the cylinders, when I took the plugs out, I did inspect the pistons and did see a fair amount of carbon. More in the cylinder that is supposedly misfiring (textured and black), but all had at least a thin coating of carbon (light texture with gray/black mix). I'll be changing the oil in another 1-2k miles so I may pull the plugs and check/clean the pistons a couple days before I do the oil change. There was 1/2 tank of gas with Toyota fuel system cleaner left when I checked a few days ago, so maybe it was in the process of clearing some of the carbon. I just ran through the other half and filled up with Costco Regular Gas, which is a top tier rated gas with extra detergents (supposedly).

Robert Holt likes this.
  8. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Would you rely on chemical solvents to clean that carbonized piston, or would you do some kind of physical abrasion?
    I ask because with my motorcycles , I removed the heads, moved the crank so that the piston was at Top Dead Center, and then used a brass bristle brush if I recall correctly . Not sure how to do it without removing head, but possibly you could insert some kind of brush through space plug hole to do so. I would worry about leaving loose scraps of brass or abrasive in the combustion chamber , however, as it could work its way between a valve and the vale seat, creating a real problem.
    Is there a "slightly hotter" plug that will fit correctly, which one could use rather than the much hotter Touota replacement plug? I really want to avoid both pre-ignition and detonation events.
    Off to look up info about the Denso TT super plug.

Shelby profita likes this.
  9. DTKim

DTKim Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Unfortunately, this is the next step for Denso (16 to 20) so nothing in between. For cleaning the piston, once you fix whatever is causing the fouling, just use a good fuel system cleaner and let it ride. If you really want to expedite the cleaning, Seafoam and other products can be poured into the fuel or suctioned into the intake vacuum.

Robert Holt likes this.
  10. engerysaver

engerysaver Real Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    #10 engerysaver, Aug 12, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    Fostel likes this.
  11. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    the question is why are they one third cheaper than the long life version?
    denso says they have the most iridium of all the plugs & are way better (& lasting longer) than nething else, nevertheless the long life are more expensive....
    so what's the catch here?

[​IMG]

Fostel likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Fostel likes this.
  13. engerysaver

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  14. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    it's not the iridium tough/

15. engerysaver

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  16. Diecicleta

Diecicleta Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    DTKim, wondering if you have you had any problems with the hotter spark plugs? I am changing the spark plugs this weekend and also got the SCH16HR11. Thanks,

17. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    good point. I guess this is still a novelty that is not very popular yet. I'll definitively use them rather than the OEM style.
    my 07 RAV4 actually has the denso iridium TT as OEM. not sure why prius team got behind on this.

18. kyoo

kyoo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    bumping this... which is the current best iridium spark plug for the 3rd gen prius? amazon link?

19. kyoo

kyoo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    not sure if it's just me, but i'm not seeing the 16 readily available re: amazon...

the ILKAR7B11 pops up as fine, anyone using these? i think they're equivalent to the 20s though. i assume with my 5+ hours highway driving though, will probably be good to use.

20. engerysaver

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Supersessions within the Spark Plug range
    30 June 2017 | Article

Supersession of Automotive Iridium Power and Tough plugs to Iridium TT (IrTT). Fast moving SC20HR11 Iridium Spark Plug superseded with SC16HR11

Supersession of Automotive Iridium Power and Tough plugs to Iridium TT (IrTT)

For automotive applications, Iridium TT will supersede a part of the Iridium Power and Iridium Tough range.

After 20 years of 0.4mm patented Iridium we are now moving forward with Iridium TT long life for
    automotive applications. Iridium TT utilizes 0.4mm center electrode, with an addition of a needle type ground electrode. This new development is the next step of evolution in Iridium technology and continues the high quality legacy of Iridium Power and Tough.

From June 2017 we will automatically supersede the phased out Iridium Power and Iridium Tough references to the new Iridium TT. You will receive stock of the new IrTT plug if the old stock is depleted. This will ensure delivery of the correct alternative Spark Plug in case you order the old reference.

Below is a Cross Reference overview with applicable part numbers.

[​IMG]

Fast moving SC20HR11 Iridium Spark Plug superseded with SC16HR11

Part Number SC20HR11 will be phased out. Due to OE requirements all demand will continue to the existing SC16HR11.

In the past only the 2014 Aygo/108/C1 and Yaris had 16 heat range, however going forward all other engines will move from SC20HR11 to the SC16HR11 Spark Plug. For Aftermarket it is safest to switch gradually to SC16HR11 for the whole connected car parc and sell out the current stock
    of SC20HR11. We will supersede SC20HR11 with SC16HR11 automatically in terms of ordering and delivery, following Toyota’s decision. Please refer to the DENSO Spark Plug catalogue for the correct crossing.

Due to OE requirements DENSO has to change the heat range from 20 to 16. These connected applications are mainly Toyota engines. The OE car manufacturer has already switched to SC16HR11 for newly manufactured vehicles. The Aftermarket will follow this consequently.

The level of heat range is connected to low or high speed driving. The initial choice for the right heat range is a result of expectations towards average use of the engine. After a few years of experience with this engine, the manufacturer decided to lower the heat range.

In all digital catalogues like TecDoc and MAM, the change will take effect in June 2017.

From June 2017 onwards we will automatically supersede SC20HR11 with SC16HR11. This will ensure delivery of the correct Spark Plug in case you order the old reference.

Find out more about DENSO's Spark Plugs.

SFO, Fostel and Mendel Leisk like this.