1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 3 Three - Why no Navigation System display?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by CMinAP, Feb 23, 2016.

1. CMinAP

CMinAP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just purchased a lightly-used, Certified-preowned 2013 Prius Three... and love it.

According to the ("owned 4 Prius'") salesman, the Three is the model in which they include navigation.

Note: I have been using the GPS system, but it doesn't have the Toyota display for "vehicles with a navigation system." (see the pictures)

I downloaded the Navigation System Owner's Manual, but it is for a completely different display. Even the paper manual that came with the car ("Display Audio System Owner's Manual") shows a different display for "vehicles with navigation system"... (see pictures... Mine is the one with an "Apps" button, not the Navigation display)

Why doesn't a Three "with Navigation" have a Navigation Display?

I really love (most of) the vehicle, but this GPS navigation is horrendous, and my wife isn't comfortable using her phone to navigate. Sigh...

IMG_0063.jpg IMG_0064.jpg

#1 CMinAP, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Try selecting APPS, then touch "Map"

nav.JPG

Once you select Map the screen will then load the navigation system. It is a GPS type system. Not the best but it does work once you get used to plugging in the addresses.

FWIW, I think a Garmin Nuvi is by far a better system - Have both the Nuvi and the Nav for the Model Three like yours. Our cars are identical...

Anyway, I hope this helps you and welcome to Prius Chat!

#2 dorunron, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  3. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Most actually don't like the Toyota Nav System anyway, so you're better off getting a stand-alone unit with free lifetime map updates. Find them refurbished at Amazon or other online and save tons of $$$.

dorunron likes this.
  4. CMinAP

CMinAP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you for the reply, DoRunRon. I know how to use the Map, but I wondered what makes a Prius have the display for "vehicles with navigation system"? Maybe not until a Four or Five level.

5. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I believe your statement about the higher level is correct for the picture you are referring to.

FWIW, as stated above I think you will be more happy with a standalone unit than the clunky nav system on the Prius. That is why I mentioned the Garmin Nuvi. It has free updates for life, you sure won't get free updates from Toyota.

Best of luck to you.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For 2013? It's on Prius Four w/ Deluxe Solar Roof package or Prius Five w/ Advance Technology package. The "vehicle with navigation system" is a 7" high resolution LCD display that runs a hard-drive-based navigation system. Three, Four and Five with the 6.1" LCD display run a 3rd party navigation system (graphics look like a Garmin interface, right?).

7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I think the 7" is a Harmon Kardon unit. It's the one I have. I wouldn't pine over not having it. It's not very good and expensive to update the maps.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it's Denso.

9. JarrettOriginal

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have a 2010 IV with navigation.

It's only okay, but I do like not having a bunch of things on my dash. I do feel I look away from the road a lot more than my old garmin, which isn't good.

anyways, if I were to replace mine, I would use this:

Pumpkin 8" android with kitkat 4.4

That way I could use Waze for navigation, which in Los Angeles can be a real life saver. Also, just having an android system makes so much sense! I can have whatever car appropriate (or whatever the hell I wanted) apps on it for a fully customized experience.