1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 3 to gen 4 engine and transmission swap

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by SolarClint, Jul 14, 2023.

1. SolarClint

SolarClint New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Has anyone done a full swap of a gen4 engine and transmission into a gen 3? Is it possible without excessive modification?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    There's a bunch of posts here about the Gen 3 Gen 4 engine swap there's a cooling issue a hose issue a routing issue of another hose the transmission should be the same drive axles all of that so in other words your drive axles from the Gen 3 should plug right up into the Gen 4 transmission If not it would just be a simple as changing the inner CV joint so that the pattern matches but I'd be shocked if they're different still the two Z stuff fits . But I'm not fully lying that the stuff is fixed with the Gen 4 sleeves liners and whatever they've done there's been a few that have come back with the same problem I think in the Gen 4 so why do all that modification if there's any We just get a Gen 3 engine I bought the transmission too so I have both pieces being low mileage seem to work out pretty good so far.

3. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, there is an entire thread in PriusChat about this. However, there are some local Hybrid shops in your area that may do it. The one up here in the OC is Hybridpit located in Buena Park. If anything, you could give them a call and they could steer you in the right direction.

Kromis likes this.
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    With both pieces on deck and out of the car you should be able to take a Gen 4 engine and or Gen 3 or 4 transmission made all that up together and create whatever it is you need redo the line that needs being taken care of or deleting whatever much easier with it all out of the car plop it in hook it up It's a reasonably straightforward job