1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 3 used vs. Gen 4 new - which is the better option

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by SSmith, Jun 16, 2016.

1. SSmith

SSmith Junior Member

Hi Everyone!

In the past I owned a Gen 2 Prius that had to be replaced. In a moment of temporary insanity I chose to purchase a Honda Civic Hybrid instead of another Prius. Fast forward 6 years and it is time to replace the Civic. This time I am looking again at the Prius.

Having not been involved with the community for several years, I would like your input before making a purchase.

My options are to buy a used Gen 3 or a new Gen 4 Prius.

The obvious largest impact is on price. The used vehicle should be considerable less $ to purchase. On the otherhand, the Gen 4 has a new design and different features.

Are the improvements significant enough on the Gen 4 to bite the bullet and purchase new or it it enough of the same vehicle that a Gen 3 would be a better option. To throw another variable into the mix, would it be worth going to the V for the extra cargo space at the expense of MPG?

Thanks,
    Scott

ETP likes this.
  2. BigBear2010

BigBear2010 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In my opinion, buy used, save the money for something else. Buy the v if you want

douglasjre likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Are there still new 2015's?

4. PriUncut

PriUncut Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    It is not even close to the Gen 3 (which is a fine vehicle), but the new Gen 4 is a completely different car. I can't imagine the price difference being that big of a bargain. Are Used 2015 even around? I guess maybe if someone had it on a 1 year lease.

New 2016's start in the low $20k range. A great value!

Purchase a new one if you can. It's a completely different (new and vastly improved) better vehicle IMO.

2016 Prius... insanely great! (y)(y)(y)

#4 PriUncut, Jun 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  5. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. PriUncut

PriUncut Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That price is high. Looks like a loaded level 5, funny they don't really say.

#7 Mendel Leisk, Jun 17, 2016
  8. E46Prius

E46Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Definitely buy the new Prius. Skip the old one. At the end of your ownership of the 3rd gen should you buy it, you'll be behind two full generations where as with the new Prius, you'll only be be behind one.

xpcman, ETP and bisco like this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ can't argue with that. :)

ETP likes this.
  10. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Take them both for a good long test drive and decide which you prefer.

douglasjre and Mendel Leisk like this.
  11. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just sold my 2011 Prius III no navi for $14,700 to private party buyer, so I know the 2011 to 2013 Prius liftback pricing pretty well for SF Bay Area. My buyer was so happy and thanked me over and over. He drove a lot and was going to use it for Uber rides too.
    Mine had only 34,753 miles total and was exceptionally clean and no issues whatsoever. KBB was $14,550 and Nadaguides was $14,750. Mine would need tires in 13,000 miles whereas 3 to 5 year old Prius' at Toyota have almost new tires. I saw a 2013 with 40 something k miles certified Toyota asking $17, 900 ish and also 2011's with 80k miles under $12,000 asking.

But, being a 2011, it had no USB port, no backup camera, 1 door smart key, no navi in basic Three, no touchscreen and early voice recognition worked half the time.
    The advantages over 2016 Prius is gen3 has large glove boxes and two of them, underfloor trunk tray and somewhat hidden storage under floating bridge, Gen3 has more 'vertical view out' for rear seat passengers. All gen3's carry a compact spare tire.

Upon startup, gen4 is different. My rental did not automatically fire up gas engine x seconds after Ready mode from a cold start (I found gen3 engine startup annoying).
    Gen4 pulls harder from a standing start and accelerating onto freeway.
    Going over speed dots at 30 MPH would rattle right into my 2011's cabin whereas gen4 mutes those bumps out like my 2005 Accord sedan. View out front of gen4 is better since the windshield is more upright.
    You've got the grill shutters in gen4, so engine should warm up quicker and get better MPG on short trips.

Gen4 is better as a car, but unfortunately, the front seats (bottom cushions) didn't come very close to comfort, so I'm not even entertaining a purchase. I've no problem in 2016 Civic, my 2005 Accord is fine, I got on with my old 1988 Toyota pickup. :oops:

#11 cycledrum, Jun 17, 2016
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if it were just new vs used, same model, i'd say do whichever you prefer. but the two gen's are so vastly different, if i could afford the gen 4, i'd go for it.

of course, you should look at and drive both, a few people hated it and bought 15's instead.

wrprice and krmcg like this.
  13. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, I didn't do too bad on my 2011 Three 34.7k miles at all. Here's a 2014 Prius Two for sale at Lexus Fremont, 23,xxx miles asking only $16,484 . Unusually low asking price for that low of miles.

2014 Toyota Prius Two Blizzard Pearl

Toyota Sunnyvale's cheapest ad'd 2016 Prius Two is $22,707 but you probably pay sales tax before mfr. cash $1500, then they deduct the $1500

So, you might save $7,000 on that two year old Prius Two above.

Geez, I did alright asking $15,500 and getting $14,700 on my 2011 given the one ad'd at lexus.

#13 cycledrum, Jun 17, 2016
  14. E46Prius

E46Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    the 2016 civic is also a superb car to consider.

15. Starship_Enterprius

Starship_Enterprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    There are too many variables to this question to come up with an answer. For starters here, are some of the questions I asked myself:

1. What are the prices of used car in your area, how much are you looking to save, and how important is that amount to you?

For example in my area, 3 to 4 year old used Prius are half the price of brand new. For me, that alone was worth considering a used car....half price (at a maximum of 4 year old car) was the bang that was worth the hassle for me to go used. Which leads to the next question:

2. How old a car are you willing to go down, how knowledgeable are you in maintaining an old car, and how long do you normally keep your cars? Do you at least have an affordable mechanic you trust?

If you don't know how to maintain a used car for cheap and don't plan to keep it that long to matter, then just don't consider buying used. A lot of people are not comfortable driving a car 5 years and older. Buying used means you will soon be driving a 7 or 10+ year old car.

Only after you answer the above questions favorably and know you can live with a used car should you start answering the last question:

3. What are the minimum features a car has to have to keep me satisfied?

This is where you start dreaming of the features you'd like in a car, your want's vs. your needs and what you are willing to put with (not the correct color, can't find all the features you want, not as clean or as good a condition you prefer, etc. etc.).

To Summarize:

Don't buy used unless you know what you are getting into. This, from an old guy who used to drive beaters for years.

#15 Starship_Enterprius, Jun 17, 2016
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    civic? non hybrid?(n)

ETP likes this.
  17. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    There's a new 2015 Prius III at my local dealer - MSRP about $27k

ETP likes this.
  18. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I would buy the cheapest new Prius you can snag and keep it at least 4 years.

All I can say about Honda Civic Hybrid is "I hope they got better since 2007".

bisco and krmcg like this.
  19. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Higher miles usually lower asking price, vice versa

If under 3 yrs old, 36k miles, bumper/bump warranty still in effect. 5yr/60k powertrain warranty

Also look at maintenance. Where maintained? Did they get all warranty issues fixed? Any weird noises?

If the car has 55k miles, well, 60k is a larger service, cost a couple or so hundred bucks.

Even brand new cars can have warranty issues. My 2011 Prius needed a whole new radio unit in its first year. So did my 2009 Prius.
    Just got new axle assembly at only 33k miles warranty repair.

Have to listen carefully testing used car. Warranty always better and that's part of what you pay for in a new car.

Toyota certified pre-owned gives 12 mo bump warranty and pushes powertrain warr out to 7 yrs old 100k miles odo

2016 Civic is a great car but if you drive boatloads of miles in gridlock, get a Prius which laughs at gridlock (except for heavy A/C use in gridlock, drains hybrid battery, makes engine run)

20. Gen 2 Tom

Gen 2 Tom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Of course the issue is the money. I believe the Gen 3 is mostly a Gen 2. The Gen 4 is the same basic mechanical Prius design. But with a redesigned transmission, frame, suspension,. Great electronics and safety items. The Gen 4 is by far the most redesign of the Prius yet. You had a Gen 2, so if possible treat yourself to the new Gen 4

xpcman and krmcg like this.