Gen 4 Coolant leak

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Moloki, Nov 29, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Moloki

Moloki New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    My Gen 4 is losing coolant to about 1 inch in the reservoir. No codes, but no heat is the signal. No obvious leak, no drip. Mileage is steady at 48-54 mpg. Runs smoothly. No white smoke. Have smelled sweet coolant smell twice. Ran pressure tests, hot and cold with it holding pressure, boroscoped each cylinder at local Prius shop
    Ideas?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how much does it lose in 24 hours?

is it different if you drive or don't drive?

how many miles on her?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Had mine repaired under warranty. You might have the same issue.

Attached Files:

Reypac24 and dig4dirt like this.
  4. Ozark Man

Ozark Man Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I discovered mine was a little low when I got it home from the dealer . I bought it certified with 22,500 miles. I probably added about a pint and so far after about 1500 miles it hasn't went down any more that I can tell. Hopefully if there was a problem it is fixed and they just neglected to fill it back up.

5. MalachyNG

MalachyNG Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    If your shop couldn't find a leak are you sure it's not just you checked when it was too warm or cold? It the coolant in the reservoir goes up and down with temperature and use so as long as it's between the full and low lines you may not have a leak. Unless you mean it is 1" below the low line or it is losing 1" in a certain timeframe.

Did they check all the lines for any leaks? You can usually tell if there's a pink crust near a line or connection, if it's a small enough leak it may mostly evaporate and leave residue instead of a puddle under the car. The weak heat is concerning. If you aren't getting answers from your local shop you may need to stop by a Toyota dealership