1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 4 into Gen 3 swap fail

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by C-in-DC, Jan 14, 2023.

1. C-in-DC

C-in-DC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Watched all the videos and read the forums about the Gen 3 to Gen 4 swap. Fix that Prius is the only one that's not misleading in my opinion. "Check Hybrid system" came up when i tried to start. The engine won't turn over at all. I've checked all the wire harness connections. Besides plugging up to techstream, does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I just left there last night I've been happy to stop by You must have codes or something Is the orange plug seated well in the HV battery It is something very simple Is the HV battery showing any juice on the display?

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just one of a myriad possibilities, but I recently did this and got Check Hybrid System: PCV hose connected to intake manifold end? It’s easy to miss because you need to put intake manifold on first, then reach under, find the hose.

ThereOnceWerePancakes likes this.
  4. C-in-DC

C-in-DC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    the 12v battery died after I posted this so I gotta check that now. No display. You’d have to tell me which orange plug. I’m assuming at the inverter?

Do you say "besides plugging up to Techstream" because you've done that already, or because you're not going to for some reason?

It hasn’t been done yet. I intend to use my laptop to read the car with Techstream. The problem is The mini Vci cable was delivered with a cd yesterday which I can’t read with my laptop. The online downloads seemed too shady to download on my laptop (company equipment) so I opted to get a 2 day membership on the Techstream site. Unfortunately the site gave me a login error after accepting my credit card charge. So I’m out 60 and no closer to the solution.

I do recall moving or disconnecting one orange cable in the way of shifting the wire harness on top of the transmission so maybe that’s what I gotta go back and find.

unfortunately, I made the 4th gen egr modification mistake. The threads don’t come up as much as some of the other topics. I ended up reading about the error later on the forum. All the Toyota techs I know don’t want to touch the car and I’ve thrown all my money into it to get back on the road(Uber driving, etc).

#4 C-in-DC, Jan 15, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2023
    bisco likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe the orange safety switch, at the hybrid battery, as in: make sure it's "completely" back in place.

You've bent the exhaust manifold pipe that feeds the EGR? Maybe revert it? You could try "unbending" it, and if that goes south, get another exhaust manifold, even just salvage.

New list price for the exhaust is $259 USD:

2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback Exhaust Manifold. Engine - 1714137150 - Genuine Toyota Part

and I see dealership nearby me has it for $186 USD:

https://parts.foothillstoyota.com/p/Toyota_2010_Prius-Hatchback/Catalytic-Converter-with-Integrated-Exhaust-Manifold/62921803/1714137150.html?referer=parts.toyota.com&machineIDT1=25l41s5n4s41jr0g1hi1hibf

#5 Mendel Leisk, Jan 15, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
  6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    But I wouldn't think any of this would keep the engine from starting.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is the car making ready?

8. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    people miss the second motion to seat the hv battery disconnect
    Prius battery hv disconnect.jpg

douglasjre likes this.
  9. C-in-DC

C-in-DC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Pcv hose is in. I charged the battery at Autozone. The hybrid battery is showing a charge on the display. All harness connections are in. I did not screw down the orange cable closest to the water outlet flange. Is that the culprit? It appears to be plugged in where the transmission and engine meet. Maybe it got disconnected elsewhere?

I can’t really see below the brake fluid tank or inverter coolant tank even if I move them out of the way. Is there a Hv cable connection on the engine? I don’t recall disconnecting one other than the cable going to the compressor. That connection got some coolant in it when I took a hose off the pump housing but it dried out.

still can’t get Techstream on my laptop so I’m stuck. I will post whatever code comes up when I do.

no

Just warning lights

Attached Files:

#9 C-in-DC, Jan 15, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2023
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. C-in-DC

C-in-DC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    It’s in.

Attached Files:

11. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes it is in. Now take it out put it back in and on the last step where you're pulling down on the orange nonsense pull it down very smartly now try the system again. It should almost hurt your finger when you slam that last little hoop down and has to make good connection with that little two pin connector so that it is sensed. It looks like it's in That's a fact

12. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Use all caps when you put in your user name.

It doesn't matter if you registered/paid under "username," log in as "USERNAME" instead. Worked for me.

13. C-in-DC

C-in-DC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Did that and it did not work. Still has the same warning. Just a dumb question but if the compressor lost refrigerant would that affect the hybrid system?

14. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    No. The hybrid system doesn't care about the HVAC, and the HVAC has its own independent onboard diagnostics.

15. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    No about the only thing that can happen with the compressor is as it can pull the HV battery way down if it's unknowingly on or any of that when you're trying to start and get the car ready after it's been sitting for a while when I went to restart my generation 3 after it being sitting for months getting a new engine new transmission etc we couldn't ready and start the car after the new parts were in stalled the new engine and transmission and when I did get the car to ready it would pull the HV battery down with me just sitting in the car trying to get everything running and possibly drive. I unplugged my air conditioning compressor and some codes involving the HVAC went away I left it disconnected for about 3 weeks while I got the car running and driving and had no air One of the things that got done to the car to make it ready and correct was a hybrid doctor rebuilt battery from Virginia My original battery was frosted and had a bunch of build up on all the bus bars and nuts The minute that battery was changed all the codes went away I was able to plug my air conditioner back up which was never disconnected from the lines and it immediately went back to working and ice cold the car readied no issues . And all the underhood plastics and trim will returned and we've been driving ever since.

16. C-in-DC

C-in-DC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Was your hybrid battery showing a charge? I got a green bean battery replacement last year so I don’t think it’s that. It’s showing it’s charged. Has a lifetime warranty on it so that’d be great if it was that. I’m hoping to get Techstream on it this afternoon.

Tombukt2 likes this.
  17. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I had an air conditioning code like the switch on the air conditioning compressor was constantly trying to turn the unit on no matter what the switch on the console was doing and what I would see on my display while I was trying to get the car running was the hybrid battery I could watch the lines disappear The minute I unplugged my compressor those lines stop dropping so fast and I was able to get the car readied running and driving. With that air conditioning compressor unplugged then when I went to look at my hybrid battery I noticed all the corrosion and frosting on the bus bars and nuts The car was running and driving not really that poorly but I could not plug up the air conditioning compressor and have any of that working without the battery fluctuating drastically up and down at that point I took a drive up to the hybrid doctor in Virginia and got a remanufactured balance battery immediately was able to plug up the air conditioner and drive 400 mi with air conditioning and battery running properly No lines going up and down really quickly or any of that and the air conditioning code was gone I can look up in my text stream and tell you exactly what the code was I think so I chalk all that up to the hybrid battery was way out of balance and very inconsistent as soon as that was handled by the hybrid doctor giving me a rack that was balanced to three Delta and all these other fancy terms all that went away That's what happened in my case and my 13 persona.

18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Not independent, really. The two-digit xy codes you can pull up on the HVAC control can also be seen on a scan tool as B14xy. (Gen 3 even has a couple HVAC DTCs that you can only see on a scan tool: B14A1 and B14A2 do not have two-digit control panel versions, for the obvious reason.)

Also, the P0AA6 hybrid-system code is caused by the A/C compressor, if the INF code is 611. That will, of course, affect the hybrid system. But it's not about loss of refrigerant. It's only set if there's an electrical isolation fault in there.

In a Gen 2, you could also get P0AA6-611 for a fault in the orange cable going to the compressor, but a Gen 3 will give P0AA6-614 for that (as well as for anything else in the "high-voltage DC area", so you have to track down where the fault is).

#18 ChapmanF, Jan 17, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
  19. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    @ChapmanF Thanks for the correction- I thought you had to do the vulcan nerve pinch on the HVAC controls to get its OBD. It shouldn't surprise me that they linked it in the ways you've enumerated.

20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't remember any episode where Spock, in the heat of the moment, meant to do a mind-meld and applied a nerve pinch instead, but it could have been a funny gag. Then you don't learn what the alien was really thinking until after the commercial break.